Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Kitchen cabinetry colour - which white? Too many to choose!

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone

This is the first time I've posted on this forum but I've been amazed how helpful you all are!

I'm trying to work out the colour for my kitchen cabinetry and need to decide by the end of the week. We want a 'white' but there are so many to choose from! Our cabinetry will be satin finish 2 pack poly finish and the style is shaker/boston. The bench tops are Organic White Caesar and the splashback will be glass in a mid grey to charcoal grey colour. The floor is timber boards.

The other colours in the room will be muted neutral colours but the wall colour will have a bit of depth to it.

I'm after a white that has no creamy/yellow tones, but is not too stark a white. I thought of something with grey undertones to pick up the grey in the splashback and the feint 'watermark/swirls' in the caesarstone, but I'm worried that it might look a bit cold (not warm enough).

I have had Dulux Lexicon, Whisper White and Natural White recommended to me but I would be very grateful for any other suggestions!

It seems a big decision as the kitchen is quite large and is the centrepiece of the main family/dining/outdoor entertaining area so I really want to get it right. Sorry this is a bit long winded - I thought having white it would be easy!

Many thanks
Emma
Fact is, there are 100s and 100s of whites. Probably many of them would suit what you are doing.

Of the ready made options, I would have said Lexicon was a good option.

But I would suggest you take your color scheme (benchtop, splashback and floor board) to your spray painter and get them to develop something. See what they can come up with. We did this and we were very happy with what they did (we wanted a very "steely" white).
Hi emma_m,

Sorry for such a late reply but I only just came across your question, so although you have probably already settled on which white to go with, I thought I may as well give you my suggestion... just in case!

Dulux White Duck Qtr or Lexicon

If you have already decided, do you mind me asking which one you went with, as we are in a similar position at the moment. We originally went for the standard laminex cupboards for the kitchen, but then decided to upgrade to the laminex gloss vinyl wrap. When we going with the standard laminex we chose the colour "White 200" (just the standard white) but when we changed over to the gloss vinyl wrap the admin girl changed the colour to "polar white" which I believe is a very stark white. I don't know why they changed the actual colour, unless the "white" doesn't exist in the gloss vinyl wrap? But now that they have changed the paperwork to polar white I am worried it will look too stark. So if you could let me know how you went it would be very helpful.

Thanks.
We have Laminex White in 2 pak, as opposed to Polar White which, as you say, is very stark. My white is not cold at all, it's just right.
suh
We have Laminex White in 2 pak, as opposed to Polar White which, as you say, is very stark. My white is not cold at all, it's just right.

Hmm! Can you clarify a little more suh laminex is a standard generic name for which this material is known in the market however there are many more manufacturers and names that make similar "laminexes" white 2 pak means nothing unless there is a colour code or a proper name for which the fabricator and cabinet makers know as.
Thanks
we have laminex polar white (not 2pac). its stark but doesnt look out of place with our Antique White USA walls. (I dont think it does anyway!)
Thanks for your replies!

I bought a sample of Lexicon today and painted it onto some cardboard. I thought it was going to be perfect but was a bit disappointed as it actually seemed too grey against the Caesar stone sample- well more grey than what I thought it would be. I might try it half strength and see what that looks like. I'm also going to check out the Dulux White Duck (thanks aldavies3!) and see if that might be a better match.

If I can't work it out after that, I think I'll give it the joinery maker (spray painter) and see what they can come up with. I think for $100 they can have it professionally matched by the paint company - which may end up being a good investment!

It shouldn't be this difficult! White is sooo much harder than I thought it would be!!!

Cheers E
grinder
suh

Hmm! Can you clarify a little more suh laminex is a standard generic name for which this material is known in the market however there are many more manufacturers and names that make similar "laminexes" white 2 pak means nothing unless there is a colour code or a proper name for which the fabricator and cabinet makers know as.
Thanks

You learn something new every day

emma....I would suggest visiting a Laminex showroom and get some samples. Mine is called Laminex "White" as opposed to Laminex "Polar White" and other Laminex whites, once you put a few near each other it's much easier to see the differences and you may be able to match a paint colour to it.
I think you are lucky that none of your other colours are "pure, true, real, no tint" white. So, for me at least, I would happily have the cabinets pure white (and glossy
). Your other soft colours would then be highlighted and you'd have some nice constrast.
Unless you wanted everything to be muted, ie. with similar tones, nothing standing out or highlighted
We were going to use Organic White Caesarstone with PanelArt/WilsonArt) Frosty White cupboards. They seemed to go together nicely. I tried the caesarstone with other white samples but Frosty White was the best in my opinion.
suh
grinder
suh

Thanks

You learn something new every day

emma....I would suggest visiting a Laminex showroom and get some samples. Mine is called Laminex "White" as opposed to Laminex "Polar White" and other Laminex whites, once you put a few near each other it's much easier to see the differences and you may be able to match a paint colour to it.

I think 'Polar white' is the name of the LAMINEX (brand) that is from the LAMINEX Diamond Gloss range...LAMINEX Diamond Gloss have other whites too in the range like 'White Valencia'.... LAMINEX have other whites in their normal 'laminex' range too. . I think suh was talking about LAMINEX (the brand) in particular and these are the 'proper' names.
Thank you Notsubtle
that's exactly what I meant
I think 'Polar white' is the name of the LAMINEX (brand) that is from the LAMINEX Diamond Gloss range...LAMINEX Diamond Gloss have other whites too in the range like 'White Valencia'.... LAMINEX have other whites in their normal 'laminex' range too. . I think suh was talking about LAMINEX (the brand) in particular and these are the 'proper' names.[/quote]

I don't think the "polar white" is specifically from the Laminex Diamond Gloss range, as it is also in the standard laminate range, the vinyl-wrap range, the diamond gloss range, and I think in many other of ranges of their products too. I have all their pamphlets, outlining all their differenct ranges, downloaded on my computer but I really can't be bothered reading through each of them right now!!!
we have Laminex 'Polar White' in 'Silk Finish' which is highlgloss... Personally I like the white and don't think it is too stark..
Related
8/07/2023
Variation in white tile colour

Renovation + Home Improvement

Looking for advice on whether this variation in tile colour is acceptable. The large tile on the left was used in my main bathroom renovation 1 year ago. My ensuite…

26/04/2024
Overhead cupboard door size in Kitchen – which is better

Kitchen Corner

Bigger the better for storage for me IMO. But I guess it's harder to tell the cost/benefit in your example - mainly the 'cost'? If you go 700mm, what are you doing extra…

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum