Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Under Cupboard Downlights for Flat Pack Kitchen Cupboards

Page 1 of 1
We are thinking of putting in some flat pack frosted glass/aluminium framed above bench cabinets (Ikea or Bunnings) and wanted to have downlights built into them. Has anyone done this or know if it can be done?
It can be quite easily done in a number of ways - it sounds like you want to put lamps in the top of the cabinets providing internal illumination?

There are quite a few lamp options that are specifically fabricated at 16mm thick; these can be set flush into the top board of the carcass, wires (and transformer if required) get run above the cabinet to the power source/switch - these can be simply left on top of the cabinet or concealed with a bulkhead or decorative trim.

If you want to do a similar thing but with the lamps mounted in the base of the cabinet illuminating the benchtop you can get a melamine board cut to the internal dimensions of the base of the wall unit - again the lamps get flush mounted in the base board and the wires and hole can be covered with the second board; the frame from the door will conceal the second board when the doors are closed.

Lots of lighting suppliers can help you with the lamps you are after; Haefle also have a very nice minimal LED lamp that I am particularly fond of but it is not the cheapest solution.

Cheers,

Earl
Related
3/10/2023
Laundry floor has recess under cupboard

Laundry

Waterproofing wet areas, including laundries is a requirement now. I don't know if it was 12 years (for a laundry) but I can't see why it would t have been. Have you got…

26/04/2024
Overhead cupboard door size in Kitchen – which is better

Kitchen Corner

Bigger the better for storage for me IMO. But I guess it's harder to tell the cost/benefit in your example - mainly the 'cost'? If you go 700mm, what are you doing extra…

26/06/2023
Restoration of old cupboard

General Discussion

Hi I bought an old cupboard that is in desperate need of some TLC. I was seeking some advice as to the best product to use to give it an oil but also bring it to life a…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum