Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

What would you do with this kitchen floor plan...

Page 1 of 1
Kitchen renos, woohoo! After knocking some walls down, we'll be left with the below space:

The measurements written in black are for the entire lengths. The measurements in blue are the maximum lengths we can use. All the green doorways have doors opening out of this space.

Nothing must be in the space below the dotted orange line, as you can see things lead off from that space so it must be clear.

Windows will obviously only go on the external wall. Currently, our gas and water connections are along that external wall.

There's potential of pushing that external wall out another 50cm because we have an old kitchen alcove along half of that wall. It's a nightmare, I want it to go and if I am allowed to build from the back of the alcove, we'll gain that 50cm. For now, I am not including that 50cm, in case we don't get approved. Yes, I'm willing to push that wall out because we have to knock it down anyway because of the chimney, and the wall itself has seen much better days. Actually the entire roof on the original part of the house needs replacing... but that's another story.

Alrighty, back to the plan!
- The space above the orange line must fit everything: kitchen and a dining table. I am happy to have a 4 seater table (we're a family of 4). If we have to entertain, I can stick a larger table in the thoroughfare area if we have to.
- want lotsa windows along that external wall
- I'd LOVE an island bench where the kids can sit at to help with food prep. Doesn't have to be huge.
- no overhead cupboards
- on the right wall above the orange line, I would like a long floor-to-ceiling pantry. My husband buys many, many things in bulk... if not that, then something like the unit on the left side of this pic:

I'd loooove something like this, but where the stove is, I'd have the walled pantry:

Note the open doorway in that pic to the right of the stove-- that's exactly how my kitchen is, with an open doorway (no door on it)

I could have a narrower fridge to save space (sigh... I love those wider sleek ones)

PLEASE tell me I can fit a bench along the external wall, min. 70cm depth, AND an island bench, pretty please! I would be happy to have the island bench open underneath, to reduce the 'boxed' look of the kitchen (which is why I don't want overheads). Ideally I want at least 1050mm between bench and island (supposedly the minimum ideal distance, according to Martha Stewart so blame her not me
)

i want as much bench space as possible: by the stove alone I want at least 30cm on one side for utensils and double that on the other side for taking pans off the stove.

I would also like a fair bit of space on the side of the fridge where the handle is, for easy retrieval/unpacking shopping. I'd buy a fridge with the handle on the best side possible.

So basically, as much bench space as possible. Because I'm not having overheads, I could have some open shelving for glassware and crockery.

Any ideas welcome! Oh, and ummm I wish I could have space for something like this:

...dreaming!
why no love for above bench cupboards?

do you keep the kitchen clean?

Are you on stumps or willing to run pipes into slab to get services to island bench?
Your kithen width (5050) is exactly the same as ours. Along that wall we fitted 2400 of bench (incorporating 900mm stovetop), 900 wide for Fridge, 650 wide for wall oven and microwave and 1200mm for pantry. So you can just about get everything along that one wall if you wanted. Or if you prefer the pantry along the right wall you will get huge bench space along the external wall.

You should easily fit and island. You have 600mm depth of benchtop, then minimum 1000mm space then 900mm wide island (this sounds narrow but believe me it is plenty). That would leave you with a free 800mm behind the island where people could sit (set up stools under the recess).

It is hard to say too much without knowing how this space fits into the rest of the house but you seem to have plenty of space.
oops I forgot I posted this... thank you for the replies

I don't want overhead cupboards because I am knocking down some walls to open up the kitchen space and have an 'open' look as much as possible. For me, I think overheads would be too bulky and boxy and just eat in to the nice uncluttered look I want. I also want to hang artwork. I've been suckered in by this:

http://willowdecor.blogspot.com/2010/02 ... inets.html

My husband and I are vastly different heights too, he's banging his head all the time on the overheads in our current house and in our old house I always had to stand on stools to get what I wanted from the overheads, which isn't easy with little kids around a bad ankle!

The current plan is to have my stove/oven on that right hand wall; sink on the external wall and fridge, who knows where (probably the left wall). Nice island bench in the middle and that's about it. I would have liked a big display sort of unit but that doesn't seem possible.
Looove those first two pics you posted........... Oh well ,maybe in my next (imaginary) dream home!
Excuse the crude MS paint format

A couple of reasons for the placements

Because you said you need to have a table as well, that room really isn't that big, it actually becomes a small kitchen and small meals area.

I couldn't think of a way to fit a table and full kitchen in, even with a 600mm cooktop, it didn't fit.
Keeping fridge near sink is how I like things. Thats just me.
still have a large 2mt by 700mm deep pantry, floor to ceiling and the required spacing around cooktop.
Could have 600mm, 750mm, or 900mm oven under bench or free standing cooker.

Island was hard bit. Had to add the extra overhang last. and I don't like the look but you asked for one. Its shaped for 2 kids on the end. You could square it up and have n1 kid there, which I think would be preferable as its a small work area in the end.

I really wish i had have looked at that link you posted before i did this,

If you want windows in that external wall my design won't work. But I think you'll have to find somewhere else to put a dining table for any design. There just isn't enough room. I'm only working off your diagram so seeing it in person might help, but I suggest you get a kitchen designer in and tel them what you want.

This won't be an easy job. Not a DIY IMO
Related
12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

9/07/2023
Would you do this reno?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Bought in Nov 21 at the height of the market (classic). Good area, atrocious floor plan. BUT has land out to the left-hand side that we can extend out on (see second…

18/01/2024
Would you consider these issues as defects

General Discussion

Hi It came to my attention after the handover that - The facade cladding on the face and the side are not straight. -The face tapers down by 50mm from left to right and…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum