Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

what colours to choose

Page 1 of 1
hi there! im am desparate and need help!!

we have recently renovated our kitchen, however it doesn't seem to flow. We used
deco foils vinyl wrap colour parchment, spearmint splashback and caesarstone snow. our walls are a cream and creamy latte coloured porcelin tiles. it seems the splashback and snow benchtop is too stark and doesn't give a warm look.

the kitchen just doesn't flow?

am thinking of changing the stone to either osprey or icesnow? any recommendations? also want to change the splash back, what colour?

I have attached some pics, please help!

Could you go for a coffee coloured splash back? Something that will warm it up a bit? I would imagine this might be less costly than changing the benchtop. Also you could accessorise to bring some colour into the kitchen.
Can you change the wall colour just in the kitchen to something whiter.
I'm with Suh ... paint is a more affordable and less wasteful option. The way I see it, you could either embrace the starkness and paint the walls a really clear white, or choose another colour that contrasts with the splashback. I've just had a bit of a play with some colours and I think what you have would work with a darkish turquoise (but might end up with too dark a room, depends on your natural light), a lime green, or a slightly coral/pinky red (with the latter, add a retro toaster and kettle and it would pull together quite nicely).

Would definitely paint that pantry door white though.

Changing the blinds to something with a motif could also help (and maybe pelmets?)

I would at least try paint and accessories before going to the expense of the bigger work.

Good luck.
e.
hi guys! thanks for ur advice. i have attached another image, which shows how the white snow benchtop looks against the parchment coloured cabinets. Do u think this looks too white against the cabinets? is it too stark of a contrast, especially with the spearmint splashback? would osprey look better? even if i do change the splashback to a coffee or milky sort of colour does the white stand out too much?

ohh im going insane!! pls help
Excellent myncs, thank you for your own thread!

I’ve been busy with my real estate work tonight.
But I promise to look at your thread tomorrow.
What the hell…..I can’t resist!

Myncs….the ONLY reason why you think your kitchen is too white is because there is nothing in it yet!

You have a blank canvas to work with here….ohh so many colours to add to your kitchen with so many decorative items!

By the way changing your splash back colour is very expensive! Not something you need to think about.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your kitchen a bit of colour will not fix!

Go shopping…………………….
myncs, IMO the problem is that you've mixed cool & warm toned colours together. If you change to a creamier benchtop to match the cupboards it will clash with the splashback. IMO that will look worse, as the spearmint is a very cool colour. If the pic above is a fair indication of colour, i don't think the cupboards look too bad with the benchtop. The bigger issue for me, as pointed out by previous posters, is that the paint is too creamy. I agree that the best thing to do is embrace the cool look you have with the current splash & benchtop. I'd paint the kitchen & pantry doors in a cool white, (something like white on white or whisper white for something less stark?) or perhaps a very light grey, to match the tones in the benchtop/splashback. You need to get a sample pot & paint a large bit of cardboard or something & check it against the other elements. White will clean up the look and you'll find it 'flows' much easier on the eye. If you think the result is too stark in the end then add some colourful accessories.
Sorry, just had a look at your first pic. The parchment looks to have a slightly pink undertone. In this case you may want to try Antique White USA - perhaps a half strength - as well. It's definitely the yellow of the paint throwing it off to me.
It just needs some more colour as it's all too light and white.
xquisite
Sorry, just had a look at your first pic. The parchment looks to have a slightly pink undertone. In this case you may want to try Antique White USA - perhaps a half strength - as well. It's definitely the yellow of the paint throwing it off to me.

Yes exactly. The whole house is painted a cream with a hint of yellow in it. The cabinetry on the top reflects that. Whilst the floor tiles brings out some sort of peach in the lower cabinetry "YIKES!" "DEATH." I'm planning to paint the ceiling to white, like everyone does.

In considering everyones feedback; I was planning to change the hideous middle section with the walls and door to cabinetry as in the modified picture attached. I have also painted the ceiling white and changed the splash back.
Anyway let me know what you think. I prefer to be a minimalist then accessorize with a bowl of fruit or a Marie Claire cook book. I'm not teasing I just like the clean slate look.

I feel like if I change the cabinetry to white it will look like a toilet. If I keep the cabinetry against the Snow it will enhance the peachiness of the parchment. I'm assuming osprey benchtop will be a happy medium between the tiles, cream walls and existing cabinetry. It maybe costly but I just want to get it right.

Excuse me while I scream with confusion.
Have you tried putting some accessories in?
Such as pictures/vases/fruit bowls/calendars. Something with colour in it.
I really love your kitchen. But I like that CLEAN stark look. The only thing I would have added would be accessories and maybe a knife block (cos it is a kitchen) The less clutter though so not much. Maybe even a clear vase with rocks and mother in laws tongue something simple and see how you go.
Changing the spashback and benchtop will be very costly and you may not need to.
Have you lived with it for abit, you might end up liking it and if not then change it.

Just my opinion though, if you really can't live with it then it is up to you.
I often find kitchens that rather than looking like a warm kitchens they look like surgical theatres white stark strong down lights and totally uncluttered just place a woodchopping block on a benchtop and have a half a side uncooked piglet on it and see what I mean. Something out of CSI yes?
Many fall into the same trap of choosing the very same colours over and over again, much like twenty years ago with mission brown, dark blue and green and grey colours today is purple, mocha and grey.
Strong lights are and down lights are good for a function but beyond this warm light is needed. Have a window or direct lighting make it stand out. Think of warm colours there are charts that indicate the warm scales check out paint shops for instance.
Everything white is too cold. May be splashbacks should have some texture or luminous or backlited surely will break the monotony. Just my two cents
Worthy point of view grinder. Some people fall inlove with the white look not realizing why, except that it's the "in thing" to do. Or maybe it's the minimalist nature of only a limited colour palette. Deep down I think people eventually need variety and you don't get that using one or two colours throughout.
I'd repaint the window trim and pantry door in a white to match your upper cabinet rather than replace the doors. I think you need the texture in that corner of the doorway.
I'd then use a simple white accessory to draw your eye forward from the splashback.

This bright little fellow would be my choice -

possibly with an equally lively friend -

They keep up the watery theme of the splashback as well as the minimalist feel of the white and add life.

If you'd consider repainting I think the palest hue of that splashback colour would be gorgeous and tone the pink light right down, though if you're not committed to the colour splashing it everywhere may not be you...
Wanna tell me where you get those ^^^^^^

.....and I loathe clutter
My suggestion - paint the pantry door white, go a whiter colour on the walls, and get rid of the roller blinds and replace them with something more textured.... like white plantation shutters, even vertical white timber blinds if you don't want to pay up for plantations... I don't think the problem is your kitchen colours, i think it's the paint and the blinds to be honest.
Bek
My suggestion - paint the pantry door white, go a whiter colour on the walls, and get rid of the roller blinds and replace them with something more textured.... like white plantation shutters, even vertical white timber blinds if you don't want to pay up for plantations... I don't think the problem is your kitchen colours, i think it's the paint and the blinds to be honest.

I agree - and shutters are a great idea.
Quote:

Peters usually have them but they're out of stock.
http://www.petersofkensington.com.au/Pr ... sh%20condo
I think this is the same price they had them at though -
http://shop.bigpond.com/Product.asp?Act ... &ID=125061

Quote:

fish are friends - not clutter..
mb@147a
Bek

I agree - and shutters are a great idea.
Quote:

Peters usually have them but they're out of stock.
http://www.petersofkensington.com.au/Pr ... sh%20condo
I think this is the same price they had them at though -
http://shop.bigpond.com/Product.asp?Act ... &ID=125061

Quote:

fish are friends - not clutter..

Sorry, wasn't referring to our fishy friends
was referring to what the "men" (assuming Grinder is a man with his little ARRRGGHHHHH me matey... Pirate avatar) were saying about minimalist stuff, I don't like clutter, I like clean free spaces and white cupboards
Related
3/06/2023
Tender and Roof Colours

General Discussion

Hey. Head to a metal and decide on which profile you will use first. Profiles with larger corrugations can greatly change the appearance of the color in different…

2/10/2023
Custom build | Facade colours

Building A New House

I'd get the gutters to match your roof and pipes to match the paint - otherwise they become a feature. Nice pick with the paint colours!

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum