Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Second sink in scullery/butlers pantry

Page 1 of 1
Yes, I have lots of questions!

So, this is the plan

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/tfal/plan.jpg

Mum suggested we put a single sink without drainboard in the island bench to give more space and then put a bigger sink with drainboards in the scullery. I don't acutally wash a lot of dishes by hand anyway, so am wondering the value of TWO sinks. So has anyone got two? Useful? no?

Thanks!
I'm planning two in my new house, but have never had them before. My thinking is that I might wash pots or frypans in the butlers pantry and have them soaking in there out of the way if we have visitors. All just dreaming at this point - builders are sooooo slooow on plans.
We have 2 sinks, a double one & a small single round bowl in the island bench. I find it great as our kitchen is L shaped & rather large & the small one is great for just being able to wash your hands in, rinse things under, grab some water for saucepans etc without walking the extra 2 or 3 metres to the "proper" sink. One of the best "extras" we put in the kitchen & it was a last minute decision that I'm glad I made!
I have one in the pantry but could live without it.

I wouldn't not have a drainboard on my sink in the actual kitchen though. For me it would mean having to drag all my dishes into the pantry to wash them in there (well the ones that won't fit into the dishwasher)... yes the main kitchen would be cleaner but I don't think I'd like to do my dishes in the pantry.

My main sink has a window to outside and I can keep an eye on what everyone's doing, and I don't have to move the dishes from where they naturally seem to gravitate after being used!
Hi Tinkster

I'm stalking at all
- We put a sink in our scullery - due to the scullery being set up as our main food prep area
where will your dishwasher be? If it is in the sculler, I would put a sink there.

We have a double sink in our kitchen in a similar area to your island (ours is a U shap)and I don't like the way it always has a drain of dishes there... there are lots of things that don't go in the dishwasher (mainly plastic, it never dries properly!!).

So personally if it were me I would have a single sink in the main kitchen, and a larger sink with drain in the scullery.

love your plans, BTW!!
Feggle- LOL tis ok, you are not a scary stalker (yet
)

Thanks leni!
The dishwasher will be in the...well I guess it could go either.

Tho, I have a friend with a dishwasher in a scullery and she doesn't like it, cos she has to take the dishes out to the kitchen to put them away

So many things to think about!!
We have a sink without drainboard on the main kitchen and a round sink without drainboard in the pantry. We have a drainboard that can be removed and placed in the cupboard when not in use and is compatible with both sinks. Things like coffee cups drain in the pantry rather than hanging around the kitchen.

I love that the main kitchen is not dominated by a big chunk of metal. It's also practical.... a drainboard can only be used as a drainboard, with a removable one, that space can be drainboard or prep area and there's more stone to see!

I love the sink in the pantry. I can soak pots, etc without it being in the main kitchen, I put meat in that sink to thaw out and can close the door so naughty cats don't find it.

It cost us around $800 to do from memory and it's been worth every penny.
Joles, did you have any pictures to share??
This is the main kitchen.

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u353/joles_photo/2010-07-15_09-28-59_150720101529.jpg

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u353/joles_photo/2009-12-18_15-09-28_181220091433.jpg

Sorry, I haven't got a pic of the pantry, will post one a bit later.
Haven't got it yet but we opted for a double sink in the main kitchen with no drainboard - we'll also be using one of the foldaway dish drainer with drainboard built in things. Then I've opted for a laundry tub size sink in the butlers pantry so that all of the big pots and trays and things that are always hard to wash up can be soaked and done in there.

If you're going to use the scullery for a pantry as well, you won't want to lose too much room in there. Love the rest of the design!!

SK
The 'hide away' feature appeals, cos its all so open I'd like to be able to have stuff soaking/drying in the scullery, rather than out where everyone can see it

And the scullery will be made longer, I'm going to lose the linen from the laundry and do a whole wall of linen on the other side, so I won't be losing too much bench space in the scullery by adding a sink
great idea to make the scullery bigger.. (why didn't we think of that??) In that case I would put a double with dishwasher in the main sink, and a single in the scullery.I would be tempted to put a cheaper sink and tapp in the scullery, and a funky nice one on display in the main kitchen.

you probably will end up doing most of your day to day stuff in the main kitchen, but then you have the option to keep things out of the way when you want to, like with big soaking pots, etc...

what kind of door will you have between the scullery and the laundry, will it be glass to let some natural light in?
me again

could you make your WIR a bit longer as well?
you can never have too much storage!!!
also can the door to the store room open the other way to give you more storage room?
forgive me if there are obvious answers to these questions.. i've never built before so I've really got no idea!
Leni , the door between the laundry and scullery will (budget allowing) have glass in it to let the light in. The WIR can't be made longer as the corner of the blocks cut off to allow the longer block next door to have access, so if the wir is longer the whole house moves back, which won't work. Having the store door open outwards is a good idea, thanks, its gone on the list
hey there, what a fab plan!!

We have sink in our BP, we have double underbench (large) franke sinks on our island (no drainers like Joles), don't waste your time if you are getting stone tops - looks heaps better! (like joles says, you'll never miss it!)

As for BP, we have one sink, with drainer. We initially used this BP sink only for baby bottles, it was fantastic, now that everyone here has moved on from bottles (thank god) we now use it for little bits here and there, but at least once a day for coffee, as the coffee machine is in there.

Don't regret, great facility - highly recommend it!
Related
12/01/2024
Butlers Pantry Workflow

Kitchen Corner

I visited a relatives house and he went with sink in kitchen and butlers, dishwasher in kitchen and butlers and has crockery spread out between the two areas depending on…

12/01/2024
Two sinks? Seeking advice with scullery/kitchen layout

Kitchen Corner

Hi, We're building a double-storey in Perth and I'm undecided with the kitchen sink situation. I'm set on having the main sink with dishwasher in the scullery - and…

28/09/2023
Carlisle KDR site cost after second soil test

Building A New House

We were lucky in that our old house was so small (86 square metres) compared to the new house, they were able to take enough readings around the old backyard house before…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum