Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Help!! Kitchen island and aisles measurements...

Page 1 of 1
Hello,

We are new on this forum and probably these questions had been posted before. Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

In our new apartment we defined that we wanted an island in the kitchen including a wine and a beverages fridges. All measurements are in centimeters in the blue print. The countertop is 220cm x 90cm. The under the counter fridges will occupy 120cm and we want at least 3 stools on the other side.

The distance from the countertop to the sink will be 90cm and 100cm on the other 3 sides.

The major issue with my better half is that she wants the island as is and I want more spacious aisles.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227 ... render.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227 ... landbp.jpg

Thank you in advance for your opinions and suggestions.

Best Regards
We are going 1m for all aisles in the kitchen - I don't want to have to walk too far when I am cooking. We checked out the dimensions in some display homes and felt the 1m gave enough space.

Luckily my husband agreed with this one although I nearly always get my way with kitchen design as I do all the cooking
albi
We are going 1m for all aisles in the kitchen - I don't want to have to walk too far when I am cooking. We checked out the dimensions in some display homes and felt the 1m gave enough space.

I'm with you on that one ... we did the same when we put in a new kitchen at our last place ... 1m for all aisles.

Our rental atm has 1.95m space and it's a huge waste of space ... we could have a party in the space, but all that seems to happen is I'm cooking and carrying pots of hot food across a huge space with children running around in the kitchen space. I preferred my 1m space, heaps of room for me, but didn't encourage children to play in there.
We're having 1.3 - 1.5 m between benches.

We have 1m in our unit and it's a too tight with 2 people in the kitchen.
1sthome

That's why 1m is fine for me - I am the only one in the kitchen. Husband has no idea won't come near the kitchen and kids are banned from my side of the island
they can sit on the other side and watch (or do their homework)
This guide from Renomart is still the best and easiest I've found:

http://renomart.com.au/the-39-essential-guidelines-of-kitchen-design/

e.
1sthome
We're having 1.3 - 1.5 m between benches.

Maybe that's the difference? Maybe grasping here ... but in my home the kitchen was 5.5m long ... a U shape with an island bench, so there was plenty of room for 2 (or 5 if all the kids followed me in ... sigh) and easy to get out as there was 2 exits. Maybe if it was in a unit and there was only one way in/out it would be too tight?
I'll have to check ours. I know it's a decent generous gap-I love it though-can stand at the sink-dishwasher with the drawers open from the island and put the dishes away-even with this still have a generous gap.
Thank you very much to all of you! Great information1
Our gap between the island bench and wall bench is 1500mm. We have a gallery kitchen so it works really well - as PP said we can have the dishwasher or drawers open and it doesn't impede on flow through traffic.
I agree with Kyton I can have the dishwasher open with decent space for people to get past. Nothing worse than cramming everything in especially in a kitchen.
Your main work area I think should be wider than 1m.

Personally, we encourage kids in the kitchen as we feel it is a great way for them to learn about food and how to cook. Anymore than one person in a 1 m space is going to feel cramped.

If it is only an aisle area, a walk through, 1 m or even 900mm is OK.
Related
7/08/2023
MGP10 pine for an island

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Are you going to have the frame exposed or are you cladding it with something. Usually if you are making an exposed frame you would use solid legs around 100x100 or…

11/03/2024
Renovation - swapping kitchen and bathroom and other fix ups

Renovation + Home Improvement

I recently went through a similar renovation and move scenario when updating our family home. We also swapped some rooms around and tackled a major…

24/03/2024
Kitchen Layout Help

Kitchen Corner

You never have a fridge against wall as you’ve drawn. The doors can’t open past 90 degrees and it’s difficult and maybe impossible to remove drawers

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum