Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Opinions on no splashback

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Part of my house plans is a galley style kitchen. One side is very long island and other side is against wall between kitchen and rumpus room. With this side, I was planning a window cutout in the wall so I could see into the rumpus and this would start about 200mm above the benchtop.

Because the window goes most of the length of the wall, makes a splashback impossible so was thinking of sink on the wall and stove on the island. But my wife has fell in love with a freestanding cooker which really would not go well on an island.

So my question is, how wierd do you think it would look if there was no splashback behind cooker (will be buying one with an induction cooktop) except for the 200mm up to the window space (which I can tile or do something to deal with some mess)?

Would this be a bad idea. I remember when I lived in my dingy little flat and they just had a cheap freestanding cooker in the corner against the walls and splashes there did not seem like a massive problem.
200mm? I think in time the window sill would get grotty. But I guess it depends what you cook. If I cook a spag bol it would def be spluttering up that high.
I don't like the idea of a cooker with no splashback at all.... for safety reasons. Alarm bells just ring for me, imagine you're cooking and then little hands come wondering from behind and onto the cooktop.

When we were looking to buy a house we came across a lovely house, but there was a cooker on the island bench and it turned me right off.
The other idea would be to use a clear glass splashback that also covers the window cut out so it essentially 'becomes' the window. This would make no windowsill. While this would make it harder to hear children in rumpus, could still see them.
The old adage "children should be seen and not heard" springs to mind! Sounds like the perfect solution!
i don't like the idea of a cooker with no splashback weither, and i don't see how being freestanding would make a difference?

but i am pretty sure windows can be splashbacks, you can get ones that withstand the heat better can't you? Mrs B has one I'm pretty sure. I don't think windows would get any grottier or be any harder to clean than a glass splashback. they're both glass after all.
you don't think it would look wierd? I am imagining it as a glass splashback like normal, only for part of it there is no wall behind it and it is a plastered cut out.
The difference between the free standing and cook top was that if a cooktop, it would be on the island and so can't have a splashback (I know a lot of people don't like this but if the island is big enough, I think it works well). But a freestanding would not work on an island bench top as would look very wierd.
I changed my cooktop to be on island bench....hard to find island rangehood and it's expensive but that's how I like it. my friends and builder kept on asking whether I'm sure about this, but yes. I was sure.
I love the look
my mum had the same way and it worked fine..
thing I like the most about it is thought that with island cooktop with breakfast bench
my partner just sits there and eat straight off the pan...........................haha
This is what I have come up with. It can work with a free standing cooker and also as a cooktop with wall oven (prefer wall oven as I am 6'6" so like things higher). The entire back wall is a glass window/splashback (saw it on another thread). If I split it into 3, then I can have the outside thirds as casement windows or windows that slide in so I can still hear and talk to kids in rumpus.

and those casements allow you to hand through snacks!
barker
This is what I have come up with. It can work with a free standing cooker and also as a cooktop with wall oven (prefer wall oven as I am 6'6" so like things higher). The entire back wall is a glass window/splashback (saw it on another thread). If I split it into 3, then I can have the outside thirds as casement windows or windows that slide in so I can still hear and talk to kids in rumpus.

I love this idea. I have 4 kids and wouldn't dream of no splash behind a cooktop. As logical as they can be kids do amazingly irrational things without thinking. Last week my 6 year old asked me if a soup pot that had been boiling on the stove for 4 hours was really hot just as he touched it. He knew it was really hot AND asked and still touched before I could even turn around.

The idea of two sliding windows on each side and a fixed panel behind the cooker is great. You can see & hear the kids, they can't touch the stove from the other side and when they get too noisy you can shut the windows.

Its a cone of silence kitchen! - Thats Brilliant!!!
Cool. Now once I get the wife to agree (should not be too difficult...), kitchen layout is done!

Really should focus on getting my current house ready to sell, but planning for new one is so much more fun.
i like what you have come up with, i think it will work well, and it is very similar to Mrs B's layout! (check out her thread or blog i think its on her signature)

i would make the two bits of splashback on either side of the window the same size though. just for symmetry, would be much more pleasing to the eye. (perhaps you already are but it doesn't appear that way in your pic.)
It does look a lot like Mrs B's as she was the first one I had seen done like it!

The window segments are all the same but hard to see in the picture as it shows through to the other room and window behind it.
Related
You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum