Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

kitchen pantry

Page 1 of 1
Hi all. My first post. We will be renovating/extending our kitchen, we want to build a walk in pantry 2.5mt x 1.8mt. The rest of the kitchen will be cabinet free except for some open shelves and a couple of draws. Flooring for is polished concrete. We want to use the pantry also for curing meats, and storing preserves. What is the best way of ensuring constant temperature, humidity and good ventilation, without installing any electrical controls. The house is a Californian bungalow in inner suburban Melbourne, west facing. The pantry will be on the south side of the house, backing on to external wall. Thanks
I'd add in some REALLY good insulation on the external wall, and make sure you have no windows. Good insulation around all walls will help create a space more likely to maintain an even temperature. Humidity and ventillation you may need to do with ceiling fans and humidifyers... I'm really not sure of the best way to achieve what you want. I'd imagine that for someone with the knowhow to get that done would probably want to know about what humidity levels you are looking for (or do you want to remove any humidity?)
roberto
....we want to build a walk in pantry 2.5mt x 1.8mt. The rest of the kitchen will be cabinet free except for some open shelves and a couple of draws.

Sorry, can't help at all with the temperature/humidity thing, but I'm curious about what will be in your kitchen, if not cabinets? What's going to hold up the benchtops?
Or are you going for a big old kitchen table in the middle?

That doesn't help with a sink though...

Sounds interesting. More info?
wow that sounds really good! If we would have the space...
I had a pantry in an old house. It had only a small window which didn't receive sun and stayed cool.
If you heat your kitchen it is important as well to think on the pantry door, it must be closed all the time and I don't know maybe a better door would make a difference. You could as well put ventilation openings in. And the fridge must be kept outside the pantry as it creates heat.
I thought that I have answered or otherwise deleted I do not know
Basically NO there is too much temperature difference and humidity to process optimally meats and things like that even preserves need low humidity environment.
I did quite a few salted cured raw hams, waxed salamis but temp and ventilation was always the main concern.
Related
22/05/2023
Pantry Shelves

Kitchen Corner

Basically. If the shelves are fixed then they will be screwed in just the same as the rest of the carcass. To re move the screws you need to remove that section of…

12/01/2024
Butlers Pantry Workflow

Kitchen Corner

I visited a relatives house and he went with sink in kitchen and butlers, dishwasher in kitchen and butlers and has crockery spread out between the two areas depending on…

6/06/2023
Do you think this kitchen is original

Kitchen Corner

No. It's not original. Circa early to mid 90s would be my guess and maybe even as late as early 2000s

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum