Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Raised kitchen bench

Page 1 of 1
Does anyone have any links to photographs of kitchens that have a raised bench section on their island. I have done a net search and gone through tonnes of display home galleries and have found only a couple that have the raised section extended the entire benchtop but this is not quite the look I am going for. We have a 4 metre island and I was hoping to have a 2 metre (or so) section of this with a raised bench top to cover the sink. this would leave the remaining 2 metres of open, wide benchtop. Is this commonly done? does anyone think this will look silly!
this link shows a kitchen with a partial raised area to give you an idea of what I am looking for. Only our kitchen will be 2 pac with caesar stone finish.
http://www.rivergumhomes.com.au/southau ... en%20L.JPG
or this one
http://www.metricon.com.au/vic/homes/ov ... spx?id=111 (photo 4)

thanks everyone
Hi,

I've seen something similar in a Dennis Family home.

http://www.dennisfamily.com.au/dfc/home/homes/dfhrange/hartley.sok

Check out the "virtual tour".

This is something I'm considering too since caeserstone only comes in 3m lengths. Something like this may be a good way to hide the join (I hope!)
thanks for your link TipsyMcStagger.
pasey25, I saw some joins in caesar stone in a showroom in Adelaide on the weekend. it was beautifully done. they said something about the colour of your caesarstone having an impact on how obvious the join is. they didn't elaborate but i assume if you have a pattern (shimmer) through your stone it is easier to see the join. we were thinking about having the join in line with the sink (hidden behind the raised bench) so that the long open section of the island is one continuous piece. I think this might hide the join even more. I am just after some really clear photos but can't seem to find what I am imagining
I think we're on the same page.

this is what I designed in google sketchup. you can see where I've put the join line
perhaps we should have matching kitchens!!

yes, we are on the same page. Our splash back will probably be a bit higher than it looks in your picture. the join is pretty hard to picture using a google sketchup but i would probably be more inclined to match it up with the end of the splashback bit, or possibly the end of the left sink rather than through the middle of the 2 sinks. it's pretty hard to picture though!
have you worked out your colour combinations yet?
i purposefully don't want it at the end of the splashback bit. It didn't come out well in the attachement but the join is close to the edge of the left sink as you suggested it should be, not between the two sinks.

colours that we're looking at are caeserstone snow for the benchtop, dulux hog bristle for the cabinetry.

still considering splashback colour
Personally I'd extend the raised bit to left bit more to give it more balance and also helps hide things that are in the sink or near it. Say another 18 inches to the left.
Manor - check out KitEzi for ideas too

Steve
Related
30/06/2023
kitchen bench in very light colour?

Kitchen Corner

Hi - thanks for your reply. Yes I think 'Ill go for whitish with very speckly bits rather than pure white something like this. PS was actually 2008 I built the…

31/01/2024
Bench top chipped

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

These can be easily filled and repaired and it doesn't cost them much to do. Id get the builder to do this first and if the repair is not suitable then a replacement is…

14/09/2023
Bench top overhang on the side

Laundry

Thanks Ardo, they are sort of semi concealed. I think it is only a few millimetres. I see if they can adjust the hinges.

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum