Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Slump glass for splashback... Let there be light !

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Wanting to let in outside (natural) light through a slump glass splashback... I can picture what I'm after but how would this be built?

What goes on the outside brick wall? Non opening window ? Glass bricks (end up with "shadows" from grouting lines) ? Anything else ?

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated...

Cheers,
A
I guess you could have a fixed window outside and the slump glass inside. But you would see the window framed behind the glass. Alternatively you could have your window glazed in slump glass, without a bottom reveal and run your benchtop into the window.

Ed
....how about this??

[/img]
It's so tiny
Casa2
It's so tiny

They're on a budget.
How about installing some glass bricks outside?

I thought a sky window letting light from the ceiling would be a simpler way to light up the kitchen??

Cheers
Allan
http://building-our-first-house.blogspot.com/
Current stage: Peg-out done, tiger tails installed, waiting for excavation to start...
Thanks for all the replies folks...

Yep, a skylight would let in the light, but it's a two storey building...

Further to that, I think a "glowing" splashback will actually look great... Just got to work out how to put it together... Haven't actually seen anyone else use it !
Where does the kitchen wall face?

Is it out to a court yard?
Does it face to the front street?

Let me know, I can think a couple of features you can use, but I need to know if it is visible from the street and main entry, usually not, but just to be sure.
G'day Michelle,

Out to the side... Boundary fence!

Nothing special!!!

Cheers
If it’s nothing special, then you have the opportunity to make it special.

I would suggest a glass window on the opposite side of the glass plash back, the same dimensions as the splash back. Full light access, and decretive as well. The window doesn’t have to be anything special, the same as what you’re using throughout, or a little less. Inside the cavity you can put some imitation plants, long slender leafy ones.

From the inside you will see the outline of leafy foliage from within your glass splash back. Interesting and a point of interest in the kitchen, especially if you are using some sort of lighting above the glass plash backs.

This will be a first; I haven’t seen it done before, nothing like starting a new trend!
It won’t matter from the outside of your house who sees it, just noisy neighbours if they look over the fence, but it will be really neat from within the kitchen.

You don’t need many of the plants, just enough to give the outline of foliage.

What do you think?
Michelle
This will be a first; I haven’t seen it done before, nothing like starting a new trend!

Hey!

this is what I'd be en planning to do!

off to the copyright office now...
pasey25….LOL

Well done, you have a creative mind and eye, I’d be interested to see what you do in your home.

So sorry to steal your idea!!!
Thanks Michelle,

Sounds good... Will look into it...

Cheers,
A
Related
30/06/2023
kitchen bench in very light colour?

Kitchen Corner

Hi - thanks for your reply. Yes I think 'Ill go for whitish with very speckly bits rather than pure white something like this. PS was actually 2008 I built the…

5/12/2023
Rainwater Tanks not filling in light rain

General Discussion

That was always going to be a challenge and a test of patience. Full marks to your mate. Did you discuss the wet area near the trampoline?

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum