Building ForumKitchen Corner

Budget price - upmarket look?

Page 2 of 2
I call it 'budget'
because we opted not to have :
- glass splashback
- stone benchtops
- fancy internal fittings

I figured I'd rather spend the money on other things, since I can't stand being in the kitchen.

But thanks anyway
Southies, you would never know that yours is a "budget" kitchen. The colour combination and the simplicity make it look expensive and timeless. It's when people start adding too many frills that it can look cheap.

I did my bathrooms with the builder's standard range of tiles (except for the feature tile) and everyone thinks they were expensive. Again, it's the colour combo and simplicity that makes it look that way.

Judie
Another vote for Ikea kitchens. Miles better than any standard flatpack I've seen & you can get solid oak for a fraction of custom made price. They don't have a great range of benchtops, but we put an Ikea kitchen in a rental property & added granite benchtops. It looked sensational! Another thing to note is that Ikea kitchens have a 20 year warranty.
Never seen a kitchen company offer that.
Judie
Southies, you would never know that yours is a "budget" kitchen. The colour combination and the simplicity make it look expensive and timeless. It's when people start adding too many frills that it can look cheap.

I did my bathrooms with the builder's standard range of tiles (except for the feature tile) and everyone thinks they were expensive. Again, it's the colour combo and simplicity that makes it look that way.

Judie

I really like your reasoning Judie
Southies
Judie
The colour combination and the simplicity make it look expensive and timeless. It's when people start adding too many frills that it can look cheap.

I really like your reasoning Judie

Southies
I figured I'd rather spend the money on other things, since I can't stand being in the kitchen.

I like your reasoning better - LOL!

It's a bit of both for me. The kitchen always ends up being the centre of activity in the home so it needs to look good, but if I can get something practical that looks good and frees up some cash to spend elsewhere I don't see why I need top of the line.
Totally agree
Related
6/07/2023
Renovation on a budget

Renovation + Home Improvement

Coming back to your old stomping grounds, huh? Renovations on a budget can be quite the journey. It's like giving your house a new lease on life. The twist of not knowing…

29/09/2023
What did this fireplace look like and restoration suggestion

General Discussion

No the fireplace doesn’t work. It’s been enclosed. I’m not sure what was removed, as it was done quite some time ago - well before what I can see with photos online…

1/03/2024
Polytec timber look galleries

General Discussion

Interested in getting either the Polytec Boston Oak or Palace Peak for kitchen cabinets. Looking at the Boston Oak ones, it appears that the colour varies significantly…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum