Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Kitchen so far...

Page 1 of 1
Hi there,

This is my kitchen so far...I am wondering if it needs more natural light. This picture was taken on the weekend - mid morning about 10.30am. kitchen morning view.jpg

Any ideas for splashback??

Of course the drawers picture was taken at night time.
drawers.jpg
Looking very nice, I bet you are pleased with everything. Maybe you could wait till it's all finished and if you still think it is not light enough you could add a skylight if that is possible. What other options were you thinking of? What is the mark on the ceiling up near the rangehood flu? You look like you would have plenty of light coming from the adjoining room. Somethimes we think too much I think.
Here are a couple of ideas where you get the splashback and light all in one basket. I love this idea. Toughened glass apparently. Certainly adds a bit of WOW.
Hi Davjoa,

Yes we are pleased with how its coming along. Slow process...very slow. We are a bit sick of BBQ & crockpot food. But we will be another step closer next week when the bench top goes on.

In regard to lighting, I had thought of skylights and yes I did think of adding two glass windows either side of the oven, but seeing the just the one window looks impressive too. My only concern with that, would be cleaning it and keeping oil & fat out of the crevices.

Your probably right...I am thinking way too much
Davjoa,

Sorry, you asked what the mark was on the ceiling near the rangehood flue. That is the circle of the old exhaust fan we had. We ripped that out at the start of the reno. We are STILL...waiting for the guy to come back and finish off that patch up job plus fill in the holes where the electrician botched my power points.
How are you going with your kitchen this week? I had those pics of splashback windows as I was thinking of doing something like that. I would not have had a cooktop along the wall I was thinking of in my kitchen so possibly would have been no different to wiping down tiles or glass splashback.

I am not going with the window splashback look, alas, as I think it would add a few thousand to the kitchen renovation and I am unsure as yet how much my cabinetry etc is going to come in at. Trying to keep to a budget, which is a bugger.

I would have had to have old windows, higher up, bricked in, then new ones made with new lintels etc, not to mention the toughened glass for the actual window.

Now that I am thinking I am just going to brick my windows in and flow right around with overheads and have tile splashbacks, I am hoping that my space will not be too dark but will have the option of adding a skylight if need be.

Cheers,
Sorry, meant to say, what sort of bench top are you having?
I am so glad you mentioned that about bricking in windows. Because that exactly what we did in the kitchen. Only because I wanted symmetry and originally the window sat off to left and it just bugged me.

I think that's why I am was wondering about natural light and if I had enough there.

Benchtop- we are getting Essa Stone Basmati - gee I hope it comes together as much as it did in my head...
and today we brought home some solid wood floor samples today - another decision to do my head in
Spotted Gum, Grey Ironbark, Brushbox & Mari
brushbox is a fabulous timber - I would go with that. I had a blackwood kitchen and a brushbox floor and light coloured stone benches - it looked great. In my new house I am having brushbox again but with Dulux hog bristle cupboards and Caesarsone latte and cashmere bench tops.
We looked at alot of timbers and they are all lovley but brushbox wasnt too red, and not too light or dark. Hope this helps. Go for a satin finish as well.
Envy you your Essa Stone, will look forward to the final pictures. We have Myrtle floorboards. Have had them down about 4 years now and they still look great, apart from a few dents here and there where we have dropped heavy things! Ho Hum.

Mine have a satin finish by the way, which was what the installer suggested and I am happy with it. They do give off a pinkish glow at certain times of day though.
Benschtops are in. Will post pistures tomorrow and I have glass splashback samples too.
Wow beautiful congrats on your kitchen
Related
22/02/2024
Latch too far from the frame to grab

Windows & Doors

The OP has gone The latch and striker are definitely not aligned but there was no point trying to help the OP understand that. Hence the reason they are no longer with us.

6/06/2023
Do you think this kitchen is original

Kitchen Corner

No. It's not original. Circa early to mid 90s would be my guess and maybe even as late as early 2000s

13/06/2023
Kitchen floors

Old Home Restoration / Renovation

Awesome, I can do that. Thanks mate.

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum