Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Rock Crystal Benchtop News

Page 1 of 1
Hi

I mentioned this before and there was some interest. It's a glass benchtop, high gloss, looks like Caesarstone etc. but is unaffected by heat and light. Well they just had it tested as a splashback and it passed the heat test. So you can have matching benchtops (20mm) and splashbacks (10mm).

The guy who has this is a customer of mine, so if you want info please PM me and I will pass on your details. Available in Melbourne in about 2-3 months. Then nationwide as he finds agents/franchises.

Thanks

Ed
Sounds very interesting Ed. Great option for anyone going for a seamless look. Any pics?
What happens to caesarstone with heat?
joles
Sounds very interesting Ed. Great option for anyone going for a seamless look. Any pics?

Thanks, I'll see what I can do...
lisanne

It can't be used as a splashback as it has a plastic component. It can burn.
ed @ EcoClassic
lisanne

Ahh ok but you can put hot saucepans etc on it though can't you?
lisanne
ed @ EcoClassic
lisanne

Yes - but take care that you don't scratch it...
Hello all,

I'm brand new to this forum and am absolutely stunned that Caesarstone shouldn't be used as a splashback as it can burn.

I'm just starting to organise a kitchen renovation and had pretty much decided that Caesarstone was going to be my splashback....now I need to rethink.

When you say it burns, do you mean if flame hits it, it may melt? Or can hot fat splatters cause the problem? If I have a ceramic hob, would that make such an event unlikely?

I've been looking at kitchen photos on the net and so many seem to have Caesarstone splashbacks - how can this be if it's completely unsuitable?

Regards,
gooniegirl180
@ed: Any more news on this product please?
I know it passed the test for use as a splashback... I will see if I can find out more next week.

Ed
Bump

Any news on this one Ed...

Tried googling but no luck. I've been waiting a while for an update on it.

Who should I contact for further info and is it still on the cards?

Thanks
Oops - I forgot... getting info now (I hope)...

Sorry...
lisanne
ed @ EcoClassic
lisanne

I'm also interested in this question.. I found the following in the caesarstone faq:

http://www.caesarstone.com/faq.aspx?FaqId=5

"CaesarStone is more heat resistant than other stone surfaces including most granite, marble and limestone; and is not affected by temperatures lower than 150°C (300°F). However, like all stone material, CaesarStone can be damaged by sudden and rapid temperature changes. Therefore, we suggest that hot pots and pans never be directly placed on the surface. We also recommend a hot pad or trivet be placed on the surface under cooking units such as electric frying pans, crock pots, or roaster ovens."
re Caesarstone used as a splash back

from above -
Quote:

I queried Caesarstone about splash back use. They have responded -

Quote:
Using CaesarStone as a splash back is possible, however as CaesarStone should not be exposed to extreme heat and or flame we advise that a 200mm clearance from the periphery of any gas burner and 50mm from the back edge of an electric or induction cook top to the CaesarStone splashback.
If this clearance cannot be achieved then we recommend that a stainless steel panel/strip be placed onto the CaesarStone surface.

barkly
Thanks, however this thread was not originally about Caesarstone...

Would really like to know about "Rock Crystal Benchtop + Splashbacks"

ed @ EcoClassic
Hi

I mentioned this before and there was some interest. It's a glass benchtop, high gloss, looks like Caesarstone etc. but is unaffected by heat and light. Well they just had it tested as a splashback and it passed the heat test. So you can have matching benchtops (20mm) and splashbacks (10mm).

The guy who has this is a customer of mine, so if you want info please PM me and I will pass on your details. Available in Melbourne in about 2-3 months. Then nationwide as he finds agents/franchises.

Thanks

Ed

Ed, please let me know how this is going and when it will be available...where can i see it?

Thanks Tracey
barkly
I queried Caesarstone about splash back use. They have responded -

Quote:
Using CaesarStone as a splash back is possible, however as CaesarStone should not be exposed to extreme heat and or flame we advise that a 200mm clearance from the periphery of any gas burner and 50mm from the back edge of an electric or induction cook top to the CaesarStone splashback.
If this clearance cannot be achieved then we recommend that a stainless steel panel/strip be placed onto the CaesarStone surface.

barkly

I am sure Cs has not been tested and I think the information is not accurate.

I should have a sample of RC in my hand next week... (they said)
Thanks Ed, please keep us updated.

I believe CS has been tested along with all engineered stone ie Essa, Quantum etc and all fail for use behind gas burners...

What Barkley wrote is pretty close to accurate, however still does not pass!

Cheers
Caesarstone is combustible, as are all engineered quatrz slabs, that is why they must have 200mm clearance from the periphery of the gas burner.

Even non combustible materials such as stainless steel, will fail the test unless it is insulated, so that it prevents the underlying material increasing in temperature by 50 degrees above ambient.

FYI material like Glass Splashbacks require a 140mm clearance in the same situation.

The two standards that cover this are AS5601-2004 Gas installations and AS/NZS 4386.2:1996 Domestic Kitchen Assemblies
Well polished concrete handles no worries

Prolly cheaper too
Related
27/01/2024
Building on rock

Buying Land

Hi all, I have been looking at land in South Australia, that is on a slope however most of the core excavation is complete, with a flat area to place a house. The agent…

1/04/2024
Holes in mitred edge of stone benchtop

General Discussion

Hi Courtney The mitred edges are glued up with epoxy so those little holes and gaps are areas that weren't filled correctly. Silicone is the wrong product to fill them…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum