Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

discolouring of stone benchtops

Page 1 of 1
This website: http://www.classiquestone.com.au/stone.html mentions that lighter coloured Essa stone yellows when exposed to sunlight over a period of time.

Nothing is mentioned about caesarstone but since they are very similar products I'm wanting to know if this yellowing can occur on caesarstone as well.. anyone know anything about this?

A yellowed benchtop with white cupboards would look terrible I think -so don't want to spend all this money and have it discolour!!

Edited: sorry i emailed my partner the website and realised that it's not that website -that website just mentions fading (which wouldn't be a problem for white!) but i'll try and re-find the one that mentions yellowing
I would be interested to know about this as well. I'm still deciding what colour to have but I was leaning towards the same sort of colour scheme.. but not if the benchtop will discolour!
ok i found some info that suggests there could be some discolouration with caesarstone ...

http://www.ns-concepts.com/Engineer.html

Quote:
the bonding agent that holds the quartz together is polyester resin. Polyester resin will discolor after prolonged exposure to sunlight. If you have a window in your kitchen, does this mean you have to consider keeping the blinds closed all day? The fact that sunlight will yellow and discolor polyester resin has been known in the stone industry for decades. So why market a product like this? The only unknown is how much sunlight will it take to discolor your Engineer Stone countertops and how much discoloration is acceptable to you over time.

The Essa Stone website only mentions colour FADING (not yellowing) ... would this be accurate info?

I love the look of the white stone! Am I being too paranoid?? Has anyone had it happen to them?

I wonder if warranties would cover discoloration....

All Quartz no matter the brand if the wrong cleaners are used on lighter colours WILL YELLOW or discolour. It is due to the high caustic nature of most off the shelf cleaners. Most spray cleaners have a pH value over 9.5 including Caesarstone's own spray cleaner. Which means they are corrosive and caustic.

This damages the stone even Granite will be damaged from the same cleaners. In quartz on lighter colours it will make the surface discolour especially around the sink area. More evident if you use a draining tray beside an undermounted sink.

This will generally occur over a 4-6 year period and if you look under your stone benchtop there will be some codes and most brands including Caesarstone will have a date code e.g 12/07/08 etc. Which will give the date of manufacturer of the stone.

Now the yellowing or discolouring DOES NOT happen if you use the correct pH neutral cleaners.

This yellowing is reversible, and it is a simply process from a yellowing reversal kit available for DIY use and takes about 1 day to complete the treatment and can be done in stages.
Related
3/09/2023
Natural stone- stain removal and gloss sealing

General Discussion

Hi, planning on using the attached stone pieces in my bathroom. I want to remove stains and gloss seal. Can I get some advice on best way to remove stains and best…

4/10/2023
DIY External facade stone cladding

General Discussion

Re my second point – yes exactly. And often it may take additional time if the manufacturer recommends no more than X meters…

10/12/2023
Small black specks appearing on new white Caesar Stone

Kitchen Corner

Thankyou for your advice. We do have Caesar coming out and hopefully resolve the issue for us.

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum