Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Corian vs Caesarstone

Page 1 of 2
Hi,

I was wondering what opinion people have about Corian ?

I had a kitchen designer come to my place last week to measure up and design a kitchen.

At the time I was pretty set on getting the 60mm Caesarstone snow benchtop. However the designer was pretty keen on pushing Corian. I am now tossing up between the two. My thoughts on Corian are as below. I was wondering if anyone on her has a Corian benchtop and are they happy that they bought it instead of stone ?

Pros:
* Looks like one piece benchtop
* is servicable (polish scratches out etc..)
* Can have heat rods incorporated
* Cheaper

Cons:
* Feels like plastic
Is Corian cheaper
I thought for sure it would be more expensive. I have seen it in a friend's place and it did look great having the sink and bench all in one piece. I like it, but doesn't it only come in plain colours?
a mate of mine put a big corian benchtop in his new house - within a week of moving in they had them come back to buff out the scratches.. a few weeks later it needed it again and now they have just given up and will get it done every year or so...

that being said I think it still looks great if you want a matte/satin finished benchtop and is a good material, we wanted a nice gloss bench so went for quantum quartz instead
actually 2 factories up from mine is a big corian company... id go downstairs n have a look @ the name but i cant b bothered at this present time...

honestly if ur goin for a look thats alot more flat n less out-standing go for the corian... but if you want your kitchen to have some depth and real stone qualities go with a recon stone or granite...

and yes ...corian is a bit more expensive then QQ and CS...that is for sure...

ooo and yes the scrath resistance on the corian isnt the best...

but you have ur goals set u know ur pro's n con's so you make sure you make the right choice...after all....you are the one paying money for your benchtops...

but in my opinion do either the recon stone or natural stone.... who knows maybe your designer might have a contract with a corian dealer...hence why he/she is pushing the corian onto you ...

anywayz good luck with it...

and hope your happy with what ever choice you make...
actually 2 factories up from mine is a big corian company... id go downstairs n have a look @ the name but i cant b bothered at this present time...

honestly if ur goin for a look thats alot more flat n less out-standing go for the corian... but if you want your kitchen to have some depth and real stone qualities go with a recon stone or granite...

and yes ...corian is a bit more expensive then QQ and CS...that is for sure...

ooo and yes the scrath resistance on the corian isnt the best...

but you have ur goals set u know ur pro's n con's so you make sure you make the right choice...after all....you are the one paying money for your benchtops...

but in my opinion do either the recon stone or natural stone.... who knows maybe your designer might have a contract with a corian dealer...hence why he/she is pushing the corian onto you ...

anywayz good luck with it...

and hope your happy with what ever choice you make...
corian is warmer to touch, seamless and repairable, but not as heat resistant as engineered stone. I've heard people say that on corian benchtops you shouldn't use a gas cooktop with the wok burner on the side, only one with a centre wok burner is recommended.
The kitchen showroom next to my work has Corian and "recomend's" it. From a distance I liked it, but up close and to touch it feels like solid 70's tupperware. Considering the price I don't think it adds the luxury or lushness that the stones do.
as a designer i would go with corian for the seemlessness (?) and you can have any profile and go 'wild' with corian. if you have endless supply of money.
the heat thing: unless you have stone don't put extremely hot things on your bench. or in your sink unless you have stainless steel.
if i was doing my kitchen and didnt have endless supply of money, i would use stone or re con stone, it just looks natural in an otherwise unnatural surrounding. Just be careful with your china.
Corian... to me is more like ... how do u say.... plain ?

its jus not what a kitchen is made for...like yes fair enough its seemless and u can go 'wild' lol...

But who says u cant do the same with a stone material...and who can tell me ....

an Onyx... or a Marble ... that does not say luxury... compared to a dull matte corian.. ?

My opinion not that it matta's.... recon and natural stones is the way to go....

Corian jus doesnt appeal to me ...sorry
MaleenaH
if i was doing my kitchen and didnt have endless supply of money, i would use stone or re con stone, it just looks natural in an otherwise unnatural surrounding. Just be careful with your china.

what am i saying??? at the moment i would nt even be able to put laminate or melamine as a benchtop in my kitchen... glad I am moving into Mums house, she has a brand new kitchen with cstone benchtop.
Quote:
However the designer was pretty keen on pushing Corian.

I dont have any opinions on c/stone or corian (actually I am quite happy with laminate
) but I wonder why your designer is pushing corian if you had already decided on stone - not getting a commission form the supplier or anything??
I am such a cynic.
Just make sure this is not influencing his recomendation
If you are prepared to pay for corian, maybe consider stainless steel.
Not only is it recycable but the most hygienic surface for a kitchen.

Corian is petro chemical bull dust, the sooner it disappears the better!
I am having the Laminex Freestyle range (Crystal Vanilla). Apparently a liquid stone similar to C-stone/corian but on the cheaper end - no visible seams either.

Unfortunately I haven't done a lot of research but my girlfriend has it and is happy with it so I hope I like it!

Hope that helps..
We were initially going to have Corian in our kitchen but eventually changed our mind because:

1) We could not find a colour that we liked even after visiting the factory and seeing the bigger pieces.
2) It looked like "plastic" material . We like the look and feel of stone and therefore decided that we could live with a join in our benchtop and therefore ended up with Ceasarstone Nougat (we absolutely love it despite the join - our benchtop is 5 metre long).
3) was more expensive (by 3000 dollars) than ceasarstone.
ozkarnak
The kitchen showroom next to my work has Corian and "recomend's" it. From a distance I liked it, but up close and to touch it feels like solid 70's tupperware. Considering the price I don't think it adds the luxury or lushness that the stones do.

HAHAHA. I have never really been a big fan of the look and feel of Corian, now I realise why! 70s tupperware indeed
good description ozkarnak
I have always loved the idea of Corian. But I'm getting more and more convinced it's not the benchtop for us.

I got a few sample squares sent out and it's surprising just how easy it is to mark with a knife.
Thanks to everyone for all your input .. I think I will be going back to our initial plan of CStone... I like the feel of stone and the more I look at Corian.. Its starting to feel like looking at one big hunk of plastic.
Hi, three years later how do you like your caesar stone bench tops? We are looking at, but have been told today that it stains easily, is that correct?
roses12
Hi, three years later how do you like your caesar stone bench tops? We are looking at, but have been told today that it stains easily, is that correct?

Who told you that?? Its not correct.

The light colours can stain but only with things that would stain any other top too!

Also consider Quantum Quartz and SileStone.

I believe both of the companys above have far better colours selections than CaesarStone and Silestone is the only company that offers a 15year garrentee and has antibacterial agents in the stone!
Hafele Infinity also has antibacterial properties. I love Alabaster, looks exactly the same as CS.
Related
You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum