Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Show me your kitchen...

Page 45 of 158
Absolutely stunning...
Wow I am new around here and this thread is the BEST. I enjoyed looking at all your kitchens and seeing what everyone had to say. Some of you are so brave with your choices and your kitchens are amazing. I myself am going with something safer in whites. All the white kitchens around here look pretty fabulous so I think it should be nice. Gee there is so much to think about when designing the space. I am a bit daunted but this has inspired and encouraged me to go with my gut. Thanks.
I wish this thread had been around when I was doing my kitchen
glad it's helped someone
This thread made me second guess most of my choices

I've seen soooo many nice kitchens in here that in my next house, I want about 10 kitchens so I can implement all the lovely ideas I've found.... and... I don't even really cook! (unless you call a pasta bake cooking?
) I have this unhealthy obsession with kitchens I think
It's a stunning kitchen, Katie !!! What type of tiles are those? Rectified ceramic? I saw them just the other day and they look like porcelain to the last bit of ceramics in them!!! and plus they are pure white and a bit cheaper!
The tiles are 600x300 rectified white gloss ceramic tiles. I couldn't find plain white porcelain ANYWHERE!! They all had patterns in them, so I had to settle for ceramic.
This has been my favourite thread since i started on here, I just wish I had a kitchen to show off!!!! Its not the same without the appliances
katie81
The tiles are 600x300 rectified white gloss ceramic tiles.

Yep, that's the one I saw on a display! Looks 100% porcelain, but pearly heavenly white
. In fact, the grout was kinda darker than tiles, but maybe it was slightly soiled at some spots during implementation, or the grout cannot be as white as the tiles?!
ok... im not coming here any more its like entering a lolli shop with no idea what u want cause its all nice ...ugh

lol
We bought our house a couple months ago and this is the original kitchen that the builders put in 8 yrs ago when the house was built

I don't love it but I don't hate it either. I like how usable the space is, but I don't like how the counter tops or cabinets look. Everything works fine but we will probably replace the appliances in the next year. Beyond that I don't know if it's worth our time & money to fully renovate it since we won't stay here forever (it's our first house), and I'd rather save my dream kitchen for when we build.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation and just decided to leave their kitchens be?
the wood cabinets still look ok, esp with no handles...very now
I would just change the bench tops..
go direct to a benchtop place, not a kitchen show room.

the white oven is a bit dated but who cares...
the fridge is AWESOME!

if you think it works well, just update it with the bench and you will have increased your sale price no end, cos those benches really date it. (very clean kitchen though, well done you. come do mine!)
boy would I love to take a hammer to those bench tops

I think stove, microwave and dishwasher will be our next upgrades (absolutely hate the gas oven, the microwave is not very powerful and the dishwasher is very loud).. then we'll see how motivated I am after that and think about the countertops
it's not a bad kitchen actually.... i would probably change the appliances to modern stainless steel appliances, change the work top to a white stone top, put in a modern glass splashback, a few downlights and it would look GREAT!
stupid question but what are downlights?

edit- oops nevermind, i googled it. we have those already

How far would u extend the splashback? along the entire under counter area?
^^ Yep, it would bounce some light around from those cnr windows and make the kitchen look nice & fresh.
I agree- I don't think it looks too bad at all! The cupboards look fine and a I think an appliance upgrade and change in benchtops (possibly even splashback as others have suggested) would make it look very nice!
It's a lovely kitchen, Kaffy, and I must say that it looks a bit unsual for these areas ... especially with the half splash height. I like the benchtop (are those indeed tiles, or some kind of man-made one-piece bench material?). What brand is your (again a bit unusual for me) cooker?
Which country is this house in, if I may ask?
Lex - you must have read my mind. Kaffy's kitchen looks like a lot of kitchens in the US.

I am on another forum - GardenWeb - which also has a home section and is based in the States. Kaffy's kitchen looks very similar to the majority of kitchens on their site.

So different to Australian kitchens - they seem to love love love real timber and granite kitchens over there. Very rarely does anyone post a countertop in a manmade substance. Also in the two years I have been on the site I have never seen a laminate / two pac cabinetry yet.

Glass splashbacks are also as rare as rocking horse poo!! They all tend to have lovely tile splashes.

Kaffy - it looks nice and tidy. Unless you really needed to change it I would leave it as is.
Lex - you guessed right. I'm an Aussie living in the States

The benchtops are indeed individual tiles.. I've been careful not to spill anything that stains on it because I'm sure it, and the grout would be a PITA to clean. I guess they wear ok though because it is an 8 yr old house (we are the second owners) and the previous owners left them looking almost brand new.
My stove is Westinghouse. I thought I would hate the microwave on top but I don't really mind it now that I'm used to it. There's a vent tucked away under the microwave too.

kyton - you're right, man-made countertops and laminate cabinets just arent the style here (or perhaps they haven't caught on?). When we were house hunting I don't think I saw a single kitchen with them. I watch a lot of HGTV and they don't typically feature that style kitchen either.
I've actually never looked up any house/home/kitchen/garden/building site from other than Oz, but something was "sus"
. The real give-away was the timber-clad house that you can see through the window

BTW, the grout on the benchtop is not stained? Maybe it's been sealed already. I love your kitchen colours ...
Related
12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

25/09/2023
Using your builders Broker

Home Finance

Broker here - legislation says that every true broker must put the clients best interests before theirs so in theory they must offer you the best options for you on their…

27/10/2023
Your most important inspection? Pre contract review.

General Discussion

The worst thing you can do is sign a building contract without a pre contract review. Over the years many people have come to me with disputes where they just signed…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum