Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

2 pack???

Page 1 of 1
I am allowed a 2 pack satin finish for my kitchen cupboards.
If I want 2 pack gloss it will cost more.
Would I be better sticking with satin or is it worth paying the extra for gloss?
Also do you have to stick to a laminex type of colour or can they be made in any paint colour.
Gloss shouldn't really cost more then satin or textured finish...at the least the cabinet painter we use doesn't charge a difference.

The choice of gloss vs satin has its pros and cons.
Gloss is, well, gloss, and you know it is gloss; but as a highly reflective surface it will show any fingermarks, smudges et cetera more readily than satin.

Satin also has its place - it can depend on your deisgn if satin would work bettern than gloss...I think it is a very personal decision and you will get as many people saying go for gloss as for satin.

The paint used is mixed with pigment to achieve the desired colour, so technically anything off a colourcard should be achievable - even metal flake if you want, (but that will cost extra!)

The only issue you might face re price and colour option is if you are working with a volume builder who has an agreement with a cabinet painter to produce x amount of kitchens in a, b or c colours at a good price to him.

Cheers,

Earl
There is no point in going two pack if you dont wont the gloss finish.
Gloss cost more because it is hard to paint and the finsish needs to be better otherwise ripples and in perfections show up more.

If you dont want a super high gloss car like finish then the best alternative is vinyle wrap. It is a strong product. I have heard people here give stories about it pealing etc but the truth is it shouldnt. Unless it is subjected to excessive heat over a long period of time.
Thanks guys.
Its really funny, my builder says I can have laminex or satin finish as standard but gloss extra (I dont know how much by yet).
But I would have thought satin would have been more expensive than laminex!
Also I thought that if I go gloss then it may be better to have a really contemporary look and that would incur glossy stone benchtop and glossy porcelin tiles, which would be way over my budget!
The most I was thinking of extras would be maybe squareform for the benchtop which would be stone look but not glossy.
But last night I was reading posts on here about laminex diamond gloss.
So going shopping today to check everything out!
I have to make my decision pretty soon, its really confusing how to work out the look.
Gloss laminex scratch very easy. Well the use to anyway havent seen a sample for ages.

Satin 2pac is just paint. Very cheap. Its the labour that is expensive on gloss.

You can get basic 2pac sprayed for $60 per square meter maybe less if do not require car lilke finish. At the end of the day how many square meters of paint would you have 10-15?? So it should add to much. Although colored laminex can work out cheaper per square meter you have a lot of wastage. Where as painting the doors wil have less wastage because you can you single sided melamine which is cheaper and will be the same board for all sprayed kitchens so much easier to use off cuts etc.
I heard it is not so kid friendly. It chips relatively easy. The main advantage is the colour choice.
probably wasnt clear in me previous reply. I was trying to point out why satin is failry cheap and gloss more expensive.

2 pac is much easier to chip. Whether satin or gloss.
if i had the choice i would be making the bottom units in a laminate and the top units in a poly gloss.

The bottom units will then be much more heavy duty, the laminate benchtop will have a subtle sheen to it and the top units will sparkle with reflections being gloss finish.

You could also go laminate bottom units, satin poly/laminate top units and the laminex diamond gloss or crea AR+ benchtop.
Thanks guys.
I went out and about today checking things out.
I have decided to go with the 2 pac satin finish on the cupboard in the laminex colour moleskin.
I decided on this as there would be no extra cost and I can have routed design doors and drawers compared to laminate which would be flat.
With this I am going to put a Laminex coco nougat benchtop in a flint finish.
with a square type edge but not as tight square as squareform.
I dont know how to put the colour samples on here to show you and to find out what your opinions are on my choice sorry.
here are the colours

I think they will go quite nicely

You having a splashback?
Thankyou smartpack.
Had the cabinet appointment yesterday.
He will only charge me $300 extra to go for the gloss finish for the whole kitchen. I was expecting a lot more than this, so I reckon I will do it. Have to make my mind up by Thursday.
He suggested parbury (wilsonart) Wallaby as another nice colour to go with coco nougat, a little more depth than moleskin, so I will check that out.
I will be having a splashback, but havnt looked at the tiles for that yet will most prob look along the lines of plain tiles with a horizontal stone border in similar colours to the coco nougat.
Or may just keep it plain with no border, have to get the colours picked first have a bit more time for the tile decision.

Update....
I have decided to go with 2 pack gloss.
The Wallaby colour is nice a bit more depth but along the same tones as moleskin, It seems a bit easier to match with tiles too so I am going for it.
Another decision made
Related
You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum