Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

correct positioning for cupboard door handles?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all

am replacing the doors on my kitchen, and would also like to use new handles. Probably the Ralpo or Titan rail and post design.

Could someone let me know the 'correct' positioning in relation to the door edge/corner? I'll be using 160mm centre-to-centre versions.

I'm planning to put the handles in vertically, except on the drawers of course

thank you

Satz
satz
Hi all

am replacing the doors on my kitchen, and would also like to use new handles. Probably the Ralpo or Titan rail and post design.

Could someone let me know the 'correct' positioning in relation to the door edge/corner? I'll be using 160mm centre-to-centre versions.

I'm planning to put the handles in vertically, except on the drawers of course

thank you

Satz

no idea because I used a template from ikea for my ikea handles.
http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/90101778

if you're after this style, maybe you can use the ikea ones

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/60138759
My default placement of handles is 50mm in from the edge and 50mm down from the top...but this is a preference only.

I believe that handles provide a visual cue as to which way a door opens, so I too like vertical handles on cupboards and horizontal on drawers.

Things to consider are:

If handles are next to each other (two door unit) can you comfortably fit your fingers or hand between them to open one?

Similarly can you comfortably fit your hand and open a door/drawer without catching on a benchtop or other nearby fitting?

Handles should obviously not be too far in from the edge of a door as this will negate the mechanical advantage, but make sure that you don't place them too close to the edge as not only will this create a weak spot on the door but the screws behind the door sit proud and can not contact the inside edges of the cabinets.

Cheers,

Earl
thanks guys

Now I need to make a template like Ikea's! Because living in the National Capital means we miss out on things like Ikea!

it looks like it has rows of holes, I'm guessing spaced at 10mm?
And then columns spaced also at 10mm?

cheers

S
satz

cheers

S

That's correct!
ed.
satz

cheers

S

That's correct!

If the spacing is 10mm apart, then this jig will probally only work with Ikea handles
The handles that we use in Australia are mostly based on 32mm centres
we do a jig for when people decide to install there own kitchens, helps with hinges, handles and adjustable shelf holes.

The center is 50mm, that way your covered when using huge handles

Invaluable piece of plastic!
hi smartpack

That jig sounds fantastic!

Do you sell them? if so, is it something that's postable (to Canberra, ACT)

please let me know

thank you

Satz
Related
26/04/2024
Overhead cupboard door size in Kitchen – which is better

Kitchen Corner

Bigger the better for storage for me IMO. But I guess it's harder to tell the cost/benefit in your example - mainly the 'cost'? If you go 700mm, what are you doing extra…

29/02/2024
handles not horizantal

Windows & Doors

Very small children, small dogs and cats

26/06/2023
Restoration of old cupboard

General Discussion

Hi I bought an old cupboard that is in desperate need of some TLC. I was seeking some advice as to the best product to use to give it an oil but also bring it to life a…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum