Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Unit kitchen renovation ***56k warning - many photos***

Page 1 of 1
Not sure if it's the right spot to post it as there doesn't seem to be a place for renovations

Anyway here's some photos + comments from the kitchen overhaul in my unit.

Before anything was touched.

Removed tiles with an old and blunt chisel + hammer

Removed sink + the splashback board behind the sink.

Removed old appliances

Removed the drawer carcass and moved over a cupboard to make room for the dishwasher.

Built a new sturdy splashback wall to go behind the sink. Needed to build a better one to take the weight of the stone top. Has built in wine rack

Trial fit the wall.

Installed the dishwasher (Bosch unit)

Pulled the benchtop off for final measurements

New benchtop + sink gets put in.

Had to re-do the plumbing under the sink to suit the new double bowl.

New under cupboard downlights

Installed new Dorf Krysten pullout mixer

Converted two cupboards to drawers with Blum Tandembox softclose runners. (big image so it's linked)
http://blog.edwardhor.com/wp-content/up ... g_0121.jpg

New cupboard doors from Polytech + handles from Ikea. (again big image so I've linked)
http://blog.edwardhor.com/wp-content/up ... g_0138.jpg

Glass splashback put in
http://blog.edwardhor.com/wp-content/up ... g_0184.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the photos as much as I enjoyed renovating
Hey thats a great job Ed!! Love the white look. What colour stone did you use?? More info please...

Have you got any finished pics of the kitchen???

Or are you in clean up mode atm???

Cant wait to see more pics.
Looks fantastic ed, did you do it all yourself?

The under cabinet lights are fab
Excellent work - looks fantastic.

Do you have an interior detail shot of a wall unit where an downlight has been fitted? - I would like to see how you resolved the light fittings and wiring as this is often difficult to explain to customers who want to retro fit this sort of item.

Cheers,

Earl
Phoenix: It's Quantum Quartz Turino with 40mm edging. I haven't 100% finished the kitchen yet, still need to do the baseboard for the drawers and the kickpanels. It's all cleaned up just need to finish it off.

Donuts: thanks! I did everything except for the benchtop & splashback.

Strumer/Earl: I haven't resolved it yet
I did purposely drill the hole for the downlights close towards the back of the cupboard and was initially going to built a step along the back of the cupboard (hiding the downlight + wiring) so cans at the back can sit up higher, making it easier to see whats there for us vertically challenged people but have now been told to just hurry up and build a box over it

After I installed the downlights I found out there are slim line ones
Looks Awsome, We are going all white with our kitchen when we get around to it. So good to see that it will look great.
Turino! I thought that looked familiar, it's a lot like my CS Nougat, I couldn't choose between the two but they are so similar, actually I can't see any difference, so I stayed with CS. Looks great, you are a clever little vegemite
no you are a clever little ed., vegemite is someone else entirely
So ed, you just really replaced the external doors, benchtop and handles but kept the original cupboard carcasses? Did that save much money?

I think it looks fabulous. The glass splashback looks great as well!
Here's a photo I dug up off my phone.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

SuH: CS, QQ all the same to my eyes

Karol: Yep basically just replaced the doors. Got a favour from a mate on the cupboard doors and it cost me a bit over 1k for them including handles from ikea. They are classic white in gloss. I'm not sure how much it would've cost to get new carcasses as well but I imagine it would be about a grand?

Stone top was $2500 supply and install, again bit of a favour through a mate.

If you want to save money but not comfortable about installing it yourself then atleast have a go at removing the stuff yourself (but please research about it first so you don't damage anything), could save a few hundred off the price.
This reno looks fantastic, you should be so proud of yourself!
Very nice indeed!
Installed drawer fronts on the weekend

Looks great Ed, the photos dont do it justice.
Finally after living out of my 31L Waeco camping fridge the big 510L Samsung fridge arrived this morning! It’s like it was built to fit in our kitchen, about 1cm spacing on sides and top!

Next is to finish off the kick panels in brushed aluminium/steel look.
Looks very nice ed, well done!
Stainless steel kickers will look great, and so practical, I wish I had thought of having them.
donuts
Looks very nice ed, well done!
Stainless steel kickers will look great, and so practical, I wish I had thought of having them.

Thanks donut, the stainless kicks will just be vinyl covering the old particle board

One great thing about the fridge I like is the water dispenser! It's just a container inside the door you fill yourself. They even provide an adaptor so you can dispense from a coke bottle etc! How cool is that! Bourban & Coke on tap
It does look great ed, and coke on tap YAY!
Related
9/08/2023
Kitchen Renovation: DIY vs Resurfacing vs New Kaboodle

General Discussion

Assuming the structure of your cabinetry is good then I would DIY everything as follows: - replace your counter tops entirely, - replace all drawer runners with soft close…

11/03/2024
Renovation - swapping kitchen and bathroom and other fix ups

Renovation + Home Improvement

I recently went through a similar renovation and move scenario when updating our family home. We also swapped some rooms around and tackled a major…

22/10/2023
Weird older Shower Unit, Does Any one know anything about it

Bathrooms and Laundry

I had an old shower unit that broke on me and when I took it off, there were only 2 water pipes, instead of the normal 2 water pipes and a shower head pipe. S o I…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum