Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Induction Cooktops

Page 1 of 1
Which induction cooktop brand is best?
I've had induction cooktops (Australia) for over 15 years (normal use) & I'm onto my 4th one. Do the maths. I know the brand snobs out there will say you must be buying cheapies or 'using it wrongly'. Last repair dude tried to tell me the problem could have been a power surge - if so why doesn't the circuit board have protection against this & all we'd be replacing is a fuse?? Next repair guy was honest & said you're lucky if you got 5 years. The facts - Up to now I've only used Miele brand, because I was fooled into thinking they were the best for durability & reliability (my main criteria) & decent specifications. The average cost of a new unit is now around $4000AUD. I have been quoted >$1500 to repair the dreaded FE31 or 32 error code= new power board or controller. There are reputable replacements at under $1700. My mum has a crappy Blanco induction unit that's lasted over 8 years. My sis has a Bosch induction thats lasted about 4yrs. My mate has a Technika (China) induction that's into year 4 (not as easy to control). I did a lot of research & found that 3/4 of the units that fit my 75*49cm cut out come out of a few factories in Italy or Germany. If I'm only going to get 5 years at best out of a premium brand cooktop, or an exorbitant repair fee, I might as well buy a cheaper unit (I'm NOT talking Devanti, Domain, Ariston, Euro appliances). If you read the specs & download the manuals you can tell; Bosch, Siemens & Neff are virtually the same (not surprising) & ILVE, Franke also same (out of a factory in Italy). The Ikea cooktops also seem to be from either a Whirlpool factory in Italy or AEG/Electrolux. On past history I'm unwilling to invest $4000 on such poor technology. The Miele functioned OK, but it just isn't durable & hence way overpriced. There is no after sales service - just more price gouging. I could spend $10K on a Gaggenau, but I'm certain it won't last - the technology is flawed, but my wife likes it. I'm going to bin my Miele. My old Miele 7.4kw 32 amp was 3700W, 1800W, 2900W + multi (2900-3700)- 4 plates. Any reason why I wouldn't consider the IKEA Utnamnd for $1000 - 2*3000w boost multi + 3000, 2100W plates (I'm only hoping for at least 5years use without faults & comes with 5yr warranty)?. I can buy 4 of these for the price of a Miele & specs are comparable & I won't get raped every time I have to deal with these suppliers.
By the way I have a Miele oven that broke down after 3 years but they repaired it & its worked fine for almost 5 years(fingers crossed).
Buy the IKEA and be happy
In our last house we had a Fisher and Paykel induction.
When we were buy appliances the salesman recommended not spending big on the induction top and put it into the ovens.
I think it was a good idea and worked well for us for 7 years. The F&P was made in Italy.
This time around we got a great price on a Bosch induction so have gone this route.
It probably looks a bit nicer than the F&P but functionally all inductions work well and give the nice sleek look.
There is no way I'd spend $4-5k on a cooktop when one half the price will give you fantastic results and good service.
The choice here was a EuroChef at the grand price of $269...admittedly this was 9 yrs ago but the current price is only $299.

This was our intro into induction cooking and didn't wish to spend multi $1000's if it wasn't going to be what I wanted, for whatever reason. Also not knowing the reliability was another factor and we reasoned that at the price it could be replaced several times over and the budget would still be in front.

But none of these have been an issue because it's not missed a beat and I wouldn't cook on anything else now and would 'rinse and repeat' in another house in the future. No point in paying big $$$ for a 'fancy' name.

Just my 2 cents worth!
Ernie M
Which induction cooktop brand is best?
I've had induction cooktops (Australia) for over 15 years (normal use) & I'm onto my 4th one. Do the maths. I know the brand snobs out there will say you must be buying cheapies or 'using it wrongly'. Last repair dude tried to tell me the problem could have been a power surge - if so why doesn't the circuit board have protection against this & all we'd be replacing is a fuse?? Next repair guy was honest & said you're lucky if you got 5 years. The facts - Up to now I've only used Miele brand, because I was fooled into thinking they were the best for durability & reliability (my main criteria) & decent specifications. The average cost of a new unit is now around $4000AUD. I have been quoted >$1500 to repair the dreaded FE31 or 32 error code= new power board or controller. There are reputable replacements at under $1700. My mum has a crappy Blanco induction unit that's lasted over 8 years. My sis has a Bosch induction thats lasted about 4yrs. My mate has a Technika (China) induction that's into year 4 (not as easy to control). I did a lot of research & found that 3/4 of the units that fit my 75*49cm cut out come out of a few factories in Italy or Germany. If I'm only going to get 5 years at best out of a premium brand cooktop, or an exorbitant repair fee, I might as well buy a cheaper unit (I'm NOT talking Devanti, Domain, Ariston, Euro appliances). If you read the specs & download the manuals you can tell; Bosch, Siemens & Neff are virtually the same (not surprising) & ILVE, Franke also same (out of a factory in Italy). The Ikea cooktops also seem to be from either a Whirlpool factory in Italy or AEG/Electrolux. On past history I'm unwilling to invest $4000 on such poor technology. The Miele functioned OK, but it just isn't durable & hence way overpriced. There is no after sales service - just more price gouging. I could spend $10K on a Gaggenau, but I'm certain it won't last - the technology is flawed, but my wife likes it. I'm going to bin my Miele. My old Miele 7.4kw 32 amp was 3700W, 1800W, 2900W + multi (2900-3700)- 4 plates. Any reason why I wouldn't consider the IKEA Utnamnd for $1000 - 2*3000w boost multi + 3000, 2100W plates (I'm only hoping for at least 5years use without faults & comes with 5yr warranty)?. I can buy 4 of these for the price of a Miele & specs are comparable & I won't get raped every time I have to deal with these suppliers.
By the way I have a Miele oven that broke down after 3 years but they repaired it & its worked fine for almost 5 years(fingers crossed).

Here are the best cooktops in Australia, as rated by consumers,

Fisher & PaykelBrevilleWestinghouseElectroluxBosch
Its not about brands. Within one brand there are good & bad units. Specific make & model counts. This topic is specifically about electric induction cooktops. It doesn't matter if somer brand makes good gas tops (& crappy re-badged electric tops), if I'm focused on fixed/built-in induction cooktops. You had Breville on your list - they only sell table top units as far as I know.

Touch wood, the Ikea unit took a little getting used to, but it seems to work fine & heats up just as quickly as the old Miele units & does not have as many annoying warnings (waste of money). Durability, longevity, reliability is what I'm after. If the big brands can't offer that then might as well go cheap, especially if you can fit the unit yourself.
we had bosch and the glass top went white over the burners in 2 years
westinghouse now 6 years and as new
Related
You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum