Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Edge banding

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I'm chasing pre glued edging for malamine. I'm not sure if it has a different name or not but I'm after the thicker stuff like what cabinet makers use. I have used the iron on stuff from Bunnings but I find it cracks and I think to the thicker stuff is more like a rubber type material and I'd prefer that.

If someone could please tell me where I can purchase it, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Geoff
Its ABS edging. It comes in 1 and 2mm thickness. 1mm is the most popular now.
It comes unglued and gets fed through an edgebander that applies glue to the board and immediately presses the edging on, then cuts and rounds it.
I don't know where you live but Polytec and Laminex (the 2 biggest suppliers) have 20m roles of many colours.
You can also use contact glue to stick it on but depending on what you are doing and how much you have to do it would almost be better for you to go to a small cabinet maker and ask if they can edge it for you.
chippy
Its ABS edging. It comes in 1 and 2mm thickness. 1mm is the most popular now.
It comes unglued and gets fed through an edgebander that applies glue to the board and immediately presses the edging on, then cuts and rounds it.
I don't know where you live but Polytec and Laminex (the 2 biggest suppliers) have 20m roles of many colours.
You can also use contact glue to stick it on but depending on what you are doing and how much you have to do it would almost be better for you to go to a small cabinet maker and ask if they can edge it for you.

I thought it could be bought pre-glued also?

I gave seen where some guys have made their own edge bander using a heat gun, and that's what I was looking to do but I'd much prefer the 1-2mm stuff that seems a bit more rubbery not the stuff that is a thing tape which cracks and breaks easier.
I'm not sure where you are located and what services are available in other areas, but I know of one place in Perth that stocks abs edging and will preglue it so it can be applied with a heat gun.
They have a minimum order of 20m.
What you buy from Laminex and Polytec is unglued.
The old melamine edging came preglued and you ironed it on if you didn't have an edgebander.
All modern shops use abs and install with an edgebander.
Actually, I just checked.
Polytec still sell pre-glued in 50M rolls in the 22mm x1mm abs
You would just need to confirm if they have a matching colour.
chippy
Actually, I just checked.
Polytec still sell pre-glued in 50M rolls in the 22mm x1mm abs
You would just need to confirm if they have a matching colour.

Thanks Chippy.
Related
11/08/2023
Path around drop edge beam

Paving & Concreting

Hello everyone, After some suggestions and ideas about how to put a concrete path around the drop edge beam area on our new build. We are required to have a concrete path…

13/09/2023
Slab edge Dampness

General Discussion

Quarter of it

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum