Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Kitchen dimensions - too small???

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

With our tree dramas, we need to amend our plans, and one option at the moment is to take some mm's from the kitchen.

The builder has proposed the kitchen size of 3.5m x 3.2m. Do you think this size is OK?

Thanks!

Bel
Really need to see a layout of the kitchen, for instance is it a galley kitchen, L shape, open plan, contained room?
You need to look at the flow where people will walk, stand, etc and where all of your appliances are laid out.
Yeh, sorry backpocket, didn't explain very well
I was trying to post this in between making kids dinner!!!

Ok, so you can see its a traditional (?) kitchen layout. Proposed kitchen from bench to cooktop is 3.2m, and from fridge space to sink is 3.5m.

Any thoughts?

Thanks Bel
bel - what sort of a cook are you?

I'm a keen home chef - love to bake, stew, etc etc. So for me - lots of large flat areas where I can knead bread, lay 100 biccies out to cool etc was important.

However - my mum is minimalist - so the size kitchen you've got there suits her perfectly.
It's bigger than a lot of kitchens we see these days.

A few tips are to have drawers wherever possible and that all of your benchtops are kept available - this means making sure that appliances such as the microwave et cetera have somewhere besides the benchtop to live.

I would also try to get a cabinet over that fridge cavity for putting away some of those things that you don't use as much.

Cheers,

Earl
Thanks Earl really appreciate your input and suggestions - We were going to go for drawers in lieu of cupboards, and do a built in over the fridge. We were told that we could met with the kitchen suppliers to work the best layout.

Stonecutter - I enjoy cooking, but thinking more function (DH + 3 kids)!!! No where near your 100 cookies on the bench !!!
lol

Having digested our options a bit more I'm thinking we could pinch some room from Garage.

Hmmmm will make more phone calls in the morning.

Bel
Garage space is priceless too. Be careful. Think tools, wheelbarrow, bikes, sandplay stuff etc.
Getting a bit away from original topic now but I guess Paddy's comment depends on whether you will only be keeping your cars in the garage or whether you will also use it for tools, wheelbarrow etc - or if you are haveing a separate shed for such things.
I would take away that little bit of bench and overhead next to the fridge (or is that a wall oven?), do a built in walk in pantry along the wall next to the fridge (maybe even increase the fridge cavity a bit as it looks to be only 800 and then move the cooktop a bit towards the pantry to give more uninteruppted bench space.

If that spot was the wall oven I would change to underbench oven (oven next to fridge not a good idea anyway).

Hi Bel,
I think you would have a good size kitchen...
Here is our kitchen layout, which is a little bit longer, but not as wide, but similar to yours
Just to give you an idea...

Hope that helps.
Ok, so 24 hours later I'm still trying to work it out. I've measured our rental kitchen, Mum's place, and asked the school Mum's (read experts!
).

Paddy, yes, you are right. We do have an area of approx 6m x 1m extra on the garage for storage, that wouldn't be encroached on with the redesign. The concern I have is the width of the garage door for entry and overall width of the garage. We had made it wider than standard as we have 2 big(ish) cars, and with 3 kids, will have big cars in the future.

Thanks Helyn - food for thought. Original thoughts were that it's all in the garage.

Rachelle, great ideas, thanks. Wall oven yes, but will change to an under bench. (By the time the bloody house gets built won't need to worry about the kids - they will be probably getting married!
) Like the pantry idea. Fridge cavity currently 900m. I did get told by the Cust service rep that when we get to 'colors' stage, we will be able to meet with kitchen people to design the layout.

Clarity - yes a big help thank you

Tonight I'm leaning towards the original idea, having the 3.2 x 3.5 kitchen (and leaving the garage alone). I think I'll just need to really think about the fitout design.
Related
30/01/2024
Help Staircase void too small

Building A New House

Not sure if that works? I was told the issue is the headspace clearance requirement on step 4. My builder is proposing shifting the beam 310mm towards the kitchen...I'm…

13/06/2023
Concreting surface too high

Paving & Concreting

It will be neat but you won't have much freeboard. At least they are not weep holes. Are you in a high intensity rainfall region? The regulatory slope is only required…

23/02/2024
Am I too heavy for the roof cavity?

General Discussion

Firstly, if your house is still under builder's warranty (10 years in Victoria) you should have no need to crawl into roof space but let the builder handle it, unless you…

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum