Join Login
Building ForumKitchen Corner

Advice on layout of laundry/kitchen area?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all, would be great if you guys can give me some advice on whether my plan to restructure the laundry/kitchen layout makes sense from a design/aesthetics perspective.

What I'm trying to do is open up an enclosed kitchen by knocking down the wall highlighted in dark red (see attached floorplan). In order to make the open kitchen even more usable, I'm planning to close off the current doorway to the laundry (highlighted in blue) currently located in the kitchen, and move it to the position highlighted by the red triangle.

My question is, does the placement of the new doorway (highlighted in red triangle) make sense to you with respect to the rest of the floor space? My slight concern is the new doorway will be located in a 'corridor' 91cm wide, facing sets of stairs. The wall I'm planning to place the new doorway is around 162cm, so not overly long. Does that configuration look weird to you guys? Or I'm over-thinking things and it's perfectly fine? Thanks heaps!

I think there are restrictions about doors opening onto stairs. Check the ncc first.
Berek
I think there are restrictions about doors opening onto stairs. Check the ncc first.

Even if the door is opened inwards towards the laundry room instead of towards the stairs?
NCC Volume 2 Section 3.9.1 Figure 3.9.1.3b Threshold landing.
If the steps are max 3 risers and less than 570mm high then the location of the door doesn’t matter.
More than that and the door needs to be a minimum 750mm away but the 4th step must be a landing.
You meet the distance but not the height the way I see it.

Do the stairs go up or down? You don’t say.
That particular NCC relates to doors at the top of stairs.
It has no bearing to the above plans
Yeah I realised that may be the case. Pays to look twice, comment once.
That's great news. Thanks all.
Related
12/01/2024
Two sinks? Seeking advice with scullery/kitchen layout

Kitchen Corner

Hi, We're building a double-storey in Perth and I'm undecided with the kitchen sink situation. I'm set on having the main sink with dishwasher in the scullery - and…

12/06/2023
CDC Housing Code 3: Gross Floor Area vs Floor Area

Building A New House

CDC Housing Code 3 When to apply Floor Area external face of wall vs Gross Floor Area internal face of wall. Reading thru CDC Housing Code 3, lets take a lot 915sqm.…

24/03/2024
Kitchen Layout Help

Kitchen Corner

You never have a fridge against wall as you’ve drawn. The doors can’t open past 90 degrees and it’s difficult and maybe impossible to remove drawers

You are here
Building ForumKitchen Corner
Home
Pros
Forum