Join Login
Building ForumFinishing Touch

White v off white mortar

Page 1 of 1
Hi all

Custom build, advised white more expensive as a lot more expensive to buy. I was aware of that.
How different is the look? We are after a clean contemporary finish. Any pics?

Brickies and experts, how much extra is off white? Prohibitive?

Our brick is PGH Olympus, the front will be rendered though over commons.

Thank you
Hi there, our quote was $500 for white mortar. I think it really depends on the brick you have chosen and the look you want to achieve. If you are able to go visit the brick company they will usually have displays showing the same brick with different colours of mortar, so you can compare. Some of the brick company websites also have an online designer thing where you can select your brick and choose different colour mortar.
Thanks was that 'white' as opposed to 'off white?' ?? Not sure if that sounds more like a quote for an 'off white' to 'white'. Thanks again.
Hhhmmmm pretty sure I heard 'white', but this was on selections day and my head may have been scrambled by then. Hopefully someone else will reply.
According to our builder the increased cost was due to the different sand vs normal brickie sand. Ours was about $300 and we have about 14k bricks. The brick is PGH Black & Tan with flush white mortar.
LynneB
According to our builder the increased cost was due to the different sand vs normal brickie sand. Ours was about $300 and we have about 14k bricks. The brick is PGH Black & Tan with flush white mortar.

Oooh I have brick envy

That was my first choice at the time. Unfortunately we were cutting costs and stuck to the standard range. Do you have pics so I can live vicariously through you?
The brickies haven't finished so haven't been cleaned yet.
PGH Black & Tan with white flush mortar.

Looks lovely! I do love those bricks
LynneB

Yes understood re the sand just getting confused about the different descriptions.. like I know 'white' needs white sand or something and cement hence the price.. but what is the diffefrence between flush white and natural white? Brickies? Experts?
This may help you.

http://www.boral.com.au/bricks/mortar-matters.asp

We have off white mortar, cost can't recall but I think it was around $500 definitely worth it to define the bricks in our colours.

Follow my build

viewtopic.php?t=83885
I went with natural mortar with Boral Mocha bricks, which is like a light grey/grey mortar.. didn't cost anymore, and I liked it a lot more then the buff/cream colour.

Not sure about white or off white mortar, but good luck deciding!!
Related
21/03/2024
White sand for mortar

Building A New House

Thank you for the information. Much appreciated!

20/06/2023
San Selmo Reclaimed Original - Mortar Joint

Building A New House

Hi, I am planning to select San Selmo reclaimed original for the fascade of my build. I have seen many photos on line of the brick varying from a rustic to a neat finish.…

1/12/2023
Mortar holes/gaps in a 10yo townhouse - are these bad?

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place - I’m new to the property/building journey (trying to buy my first home) so not sure where/who to go with these sorts of…

You are here
Building ForumFinishing Touch
Home
Pros
Forum