Join Login
Building ForumFinishing Touch

Colour assistance required! What colour garage? See pics.

Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone,

I am trying to finalise my colours (inside & out) and would like some outsider thoughts as my partner is colour-blind, and has left it all to me!

So cut to the chase, here are the three outside colour schemes I am currently looking at:

Bricks: Victorian Blue (BORAL)
Render & cladding: Surf Mist
Roofing: undecided on tile (Boral Gunmetal Grey) vs. Colourbond Ironbark
Gutters: Ironbark
Fascia: Surf Mist
Door: Murbau & glass
Garage door: TBC

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x391/j0anne04/facade.jpg
I am happy with everything except the garage door and the colouring of the stone, but these images don't do it much justice. Basically, we're going for a chunky stone look rather than the perfectly chiseled stack-stone that most people use. We will confirm the colours for that last when we see some more samples and photos.

The garage options shown are:
1) Ironbark (same as guttering)
2) Murbau wood finish (matched to door) and
3) Surfmist to match render and cladding as well as fascia.

I will post the internal colours we are considering shortly too for everyone's opinion.

Jo
# 1 vote: the timber door. It draws your eye to the front door and the colour of the stone cladding, adds warmth and "grounds" the scheme. I love surfmist too but I think you have enough light colour with the white brick lines.....
Yeah, I like the look of the timber and I think with the stone cladding will add some warmth to the facade
Well so far looks like my gut instinct has been correct; timber look door to the garage. Now just to find out how much the upgrade is going to cost us!

Still open to more opinions though guys!! thanks.
Definately the timber look. It ties in nicely with the front door.
Another vote for the timber look door
I would go timber as well - seems to tie everything in nicely
Well I'll dare to be different .... I've yet to see a good looking timber look door. Drive around and have a look.

If you want your gorgeous stone to be the feature then you should go either top or bottom pic ... and remember when you add some greenery and a driveway (what colour will that be?) it will make all the difference ....
Havent thought about driveway yet... and I thought the ironstone (dark) door might limit my garden colours to cool shades - green may look odd in contrast? Would you agree?

Good idea though - I will go look at some other doors more closely, there is a few around these days.

And to finish off, I'm worried the white door will a) get dirty, and b) get those horrid rub marks down the centre and look horrible.
We had a timber look door on our previous home and had lots of positive feedback

+1 for timber, it goes with the front door and matches the organic nature of the stone too
Rellie it looks great in that pic. Any idea how much it cost you, or what colour that is?
I like the timber, but to pull the look off really well I would suggest some timber screening in the front yard somewhere.
We were thinking horizontal murbau fencing too, but a garden screen would be great!
There you go.....your look is complete!
Have to say I agree with mclaren on this one.

When you drive around a new estate I’d say one house in ten has the garage and front doors in matching stain look. Then there may be timber somewhere else in the facade and you have a third stain colour.

Obviously the colours are very hard to match so I would only have stained timber for one position in any facade.
Matt+Jo
Rellie it looks great in that pic. Any idea how much it cost you, or what colour that is?

It was about a $1700 upgrade with our builder, the colour is merbau. It is an AGD fineline timber effect door.
Thanks Rellie... & thanks everyone for your advice. We're going to ask how much to upgrade the garage door to wood-look, and ask exactly what brand they use so we can see the quality ourselves. If it looks tacky, we'll go for one of the other options.

Mclaren - do you prefer the ironbark (dark) or surfmist option for the colours? Am I right in thinking ironbark makes it appear too grey and dull?
I'm with Annette here. I'd choose the Ironbark myself ( we have surfmist-which works for our place) because I think with your facade the timber look garage door would dominate the Victoria Blue bricks far too much. In real life I really don't like timber tomes with Victoria Blue-but of course that's just my opionion!
I definitely like the wood. For us, it's about $1,000 to upgrade to a timber look garage door.
Related
24/06/2023
Recommendation for Assistance on lodging objection

General Discussion

Hi, Appreciate any recommendations for town planners or advisors who can help assist to assess and draft an objection to a neighbour’s development in Northern Beaches.…

19/10/2023
retaining wall assistance

Building A New House

Hey guys, We're very new to building and have got our contract back with a, btw you need a retaining wall, addition. Going by my very limited ability to read site…

You are here
Building ForumFinishing Touch
Home
Pros
Forum