Join Login
Building ForumFinishing Touch

Never pass up a bargain

Page 4 of 9
^^^Mine has been painted with an "öld gold" paint at some point, which was rubbed back to show the original tin underneath..the gold paint is nearly all gone now.

KEK-love the chair and the cedar dresser is an amzing bargain-well done!
My dresser is coming up a TREAT.
One more coat of poly and some new handles (already got 'em) and she's finished.

Excited much?

And guess who's got herself an interior decorating consultant....?
^ pics asap after you have finished Kek. Pleeaaase.
kek

Well done Kek!! It looks fabulous, and can't wait to see the dresser finished!

...and as for this:

TheOK

Just stunning!!!

As for my projects, I haven't had a chance at all. I've been so busy lately, and it's still too cold for me in the garage, but with school holidays around the corner I should be able to do it. No running off at 3:30 to pick up the kids, no ballet, no sport....
Dresser's done!

From this:

To this:

All the details plus more pics are here.

Cost? $26.50 for the dressing table (less whatever I get for the mirror, which is being listed this weekend), + $22 for new drawer pulls. The stains etc, I had left over from other projects. $48.50....not bad.
Great effort, kek. It looks amazing!
kek
Dresser's done!

From this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_68rPIWu_OQg/T ... r_ebay.jpg

To this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_68rPIWu_OQg/T ... 63_4_1.JPG

All the details plus more pics are here.

Cost? $26.50 for the dressing table (less whatever I get for the mirror, which is being listed this weekend), + $22 for new drawer pulls. The stains etc, I had left over from other projects. $48.50....not bad.

WOW.. excellent restoration kek ... that's got to better than anything you've bought from Ikea, yes? ...
TheOK

WOW.. excellent restoration kek ... that's got to better than anything you've bought from Ikea, yes? ...

Yup.

Although I still love my IKEA stuff, just in a different way...and my books are very happy in their new home.
In the name of Never Pass Up A Bargain, I purchased a fridge magnet for my hubby to see every time he goes to the fridge........

"I save my husband LOTS of money..........I NEVER miss a bargain"

Well I think its funny, but for some reason he doesnt....
Fantastic Kek. Looks awesome.

garden lover
In the name of Never Pass Up A Bargain, I purchased a fridge magnet for my hubby to see every time he goes to the fridge........

He should be thankful yo are so thrifty
I'm still considering whether to give the dresser one more coat of polyurethane (chickened out on the beeswax plan
). I discovered that wipe-on poly is the BOMB, love that stuff!

garden lover

My husband keeps complaining about me "bringing more old crap into the house".
Mind you, when I'm finished transforming the "old crap", he looks like this ->

This weekend I want him to take the wheelbarrow and grab some discarded pallets I've seen down the street.... and he's complaining about that. Doesn't he know I'm a thrifty decorating genius? I have a plan...

Ha, ha......those words sound so familiar at my house
Kek I love that dresser. I have one very similar but with a much larger mirror. I was wanting to sell but am considering keeping now and doing the above......just not sure where to put it though?

Whilest on the subject and a bit to the left of it though.......I love your floorboards in your pic of chair......what are they??
garden lover
Kek I love that dresser. I have one very similar but with a much larger mirror. I was wanting to sell but am considering keeping now and doing the above......just not sure where to put it though?

Whilest on the subject and a bit to the left of it though.......I love your floorboards in your pic of chair......what are they??

Just go ahead and do it anyway - and if you can't find a spot for it, you can always sell it as a restored vintage piece. Photograph it with and without the mirror so people can see the potential...

The floorboards are fake. Laminated floating floor....it's an Armstrong product, can't recall the name exactly, but the colour was called cherry. It's actually equivalent in colour to Tassie Oak, which is what we were looking for. I think they name these things for the overseas markets. Confusing.

I wish we could have afforded real timber boards, but then we wouldn't have window coverings or a driveway.
Sometimes you've got to compromise.
Lovely Kek-just lovely!
I also love the way it has been allocated duties as a bar area!
Deemaree
Lovely Kek-just lovely!
I also love the way it has been allocated duties as a bar area!

How good was this K Mart wine rack? It's the exact depth of the drawer....

We normally buy better quality wines than this, but I just wanted something to put in it for the photo.

.....Ah, who am I kidding? We usually drink cheap crap.
^^

At least the Bombay took pride of place on the top at the front!
Stormy
^^

At least the Bombay took pride of place on the top at the front!

We refill the bottle with cheaper stuff....
^^^^ I have been known to do that as well Kek...
LOVE the Bombay, but we have a cheap source of spirits
....and the bottle's pretty.
The Chivas is real though - Fathers' Day pressie from one of the boys.
Related
29/05/2023
How I lost $100,000 and why I will never use steel frames

Building A New House

That sucks! Hope it all works out. Good to move away from steel anyway for all your reasons, but it's also thermally poor.

You are here
Building ForumFinishing Touch
Home
Pros
Forum