Join Login
Building ForumFinishing Touch

What colour timber floor to suit a grey house?

Page 1 of 1
The time to choose my flooring is expiring as my house is rapidly getting built.

My colours are various shades of grey. Carpets and tiles are dark and the cabinets are a light silvery colour with white benchtops.

I'm thinking of getting a laminate floor, but I don't want it to clash.

Any tips on colours?
I think any timber floor would work.
I think stick with light to med wood colours, going a dark stain will only take away from your grey colours.

Good Luck!
We were going to go with Formica Laminate in Smoke Cedar. Probably the only shade of grey laminate. It's very nice but we ended up with tiles instead. Anyway you can check it out on their website.
We have very dark wood floors and they do not suit darker greys at all - I had my heart set on grey for our kitchen but it looked shocking. The room looked tiny and just... odd.

I have seen a very classy home done with greys and standard pine floors. So I think light/medium would be a good finish for greys.
I have a grey house, and went for tiles, but was also looking at wooden floors for a while, I think the best option would be Tassie Oak. My favourite was European Oak, but it was difficult to get. Anything blonde will do I guess, without orange/walnut undertones. This of course if your greys are cool, if they are warm, that changes things. I think.
Thanks for the ideas guys . . . I'm still no closer to making a decision!

I went to 4 flooring shops today and I can't even get the shade right! I've looked at everything from "dark grey oiled oak" to whitewashed planks.

Anyway, I'll be sure to post pictures if I ever make a decision.
Related
18/07/2023
Current thinking on garage floor level with house floor

Building A New House

isn't a garage level with the rest of the house a given? pretty sure they 'came around' long time ago. if you have a flat block, the garage is usually level with the rest…

6/07/2023
Engineered Timber Flooring Vs Solid Timber

General Discussion

Engineering timber is certainly a less fuss option, times cheaper to supply and install and better withstands humidity.

5/09/2023
Water Underneath Timber Floor

General Discussion

The most likely cause of your timber swelling (parquetry?) is either a plumbing leak or carelessly leaving water on floors after use or both. Without seeing, i am ignoring…

You are here
Building ForumFinishing Touch
Home
Pros
Forum