Join Login
Building ForumFinishing Touch

What do you think will be 'so 5 minutes ago' soon?

Page 1 of 4
Fashion is a fickle master.... even in home design.
So then, what do you think will be 'so 5 minutes ago' in today's must haves soon?

This is my top 5:

1. Chunky waterfall edges on kitchen benchtops

2. Stacked stone feature walls/columns at the front of the house

3. Freestanding cookers

4. Tiles in bathrooms that look like GT stripes. You know the type..... a feature strip of tiles running down the tiled wall.

5. Dedicated home theatre rooms (that will get them biting)

no takers?
Geez glad that my home will never be put on the market then - since I am having every single one of those items.

Personally couldn't give a toss what anyone thinks of anything in my house - at the end of the day the only people I have to please is my DH and my kidlets (and really they don't even get a say).
Then there are:

6. Glass splashbacks
7. Plasterboard niches/set backs/inserts thingymajigs
8. Antique White USA anything
9. Jazz profile cornice
10. 3 pendants suspended over the island bench

STOP.....

where are the cliche police?
I love our Home Theatre, nothing better than jumping on the HUGE couch we have in there and closing the door. Friends refer to it as "Hoyts" all we need now is a slurpee and popcorn machine and we are set

To be honest, I don't even think that far ahead of things 'dating' or for 're-sale' We picked what we liked at the time and will enjoy it while it lasts

oh and we have 1 (not chunky though just 40mm), 3, 4 and 5! Don't have any stackstone but we are thinking of putting it on a wall next to the pool

and also have 6 in the 2nd lot. We did the Antique White USA on our last house
rubber_noggin
::angry:: STOP.....

where are the cliche police?

I reckon you are so 5 mins ago.
In answer to your question.. probably EVERYTHING i've chosen for my new house.

I've gone against the grain with a few things.. like the tiling strip in the bathroom, instead i chose to put pebbles in the bathroom 'niche'.

I chose not to have any cut outs or niche's put in anywhere else.. as I want to be able to move things around.

As for the pendant lights, we'll be getting dedicated lights over the island bench.. but they won't be pendants.

I love the stacked stone look.. but now that it's more common, i'm liking it a little less.

I didn't really want a freestanding cooker.. but it's what came with the house.

I think maybe those long horizontal windows may because so 5 minutes ago?.. even though i have one..

But I chose everything becauase it's what i want now.. and that's all thats really important.
Hmmm..... would be very interested in whether the IP address of rubber_noggin matches any other user.... something very familiar about this type of post.
No comment on anything on the list - irelevant whether I like them or not - but just a word of warning
- these types of threads in my experience on here, can very easily get out of hand: people take their choices very personally and get very defensive, meanwhile others make comments like Bay windows are so yesterday (I can say that as I have one
) and it snowballs from there.

Sorry if it was a genuine post, rubber noggin, and if you are a newbie, you may not think it was a problem, but I think this sort of topic is best left alone.

And if your'e not careful I'll post pics of my little dog again
Its pretty obvious that this thread is not genuine!

I have all or want to have ALL of the above!
I would like the OP to maybe post pictures of their home to see whether it is "so 5 minutes ago!!" - seriously who talks like that other then Paris Hilton?

Good lord I am getting too old for w@nky threads like this.
You're 'so 5 minutes ago'... where have you gone?
I'm not a fan of those horizontal windows, once a sales rep referred to them as "caravan windows" and we have called them that ever since

I still really love the facades from the '90's such as federation and heritage and it's nice to see that a few builders still use that style.
fake woodgrain stuff. i can't believe it actually came back after the last lot was almost removed completely from the face of the earth.

anything from ikea.

wallpaper, again, can't believe it came back. i often see one i think i like, but i just wouldn't do it, because i know it would date too quickly, just like dark coloured feature walls, they must be hell to try and paint over.

fortunately for me i have a 100 year old house, so my dated stuff looks awesome and always will if i keep myself away from ikea.
sounds like rubber noggin is putting out some bait...

but home theatre's I don't think will ever be "so 5 mins ago".. they will only increase, in the time I can see... plus my can be turned into a study or 4th bedroom for resale as it is a mini-home theatre..

but in the end, just build what you want..
ensuite toilets with no doors....
Purple hair

- but he is so cute Lisanne
After reading through some of these posts I'm really surprised at some of the replies.

Truly, I *can* understand why some people get a bit prickly if someone says "I don't like your choices" but in some of these replies it appears to have been misunderstood as some sort of personal attack or criticism of personal taste and preference.

But personal taste is just that -- personal and therefore highly *subjective*.

Recognising that, do we all have to "ooooh and ahhhh" like sycophants at everyone's choices? Or if we don't happen to like something we're just supposed to stay silent?

Fashion comes and goes and sure enough, what's "in" now -- will be "out" one day; consider the burnt orange and lime green kitchens of the 70's as just one example! That being said...why so sensitive about one person's list? Surely we're all a bit tougher than some of the posts would lead me to believe?

Pix
Related
3/07/2023
Moved in 7 years ago but no Occupation Certificate

Building A New House

Joe, it depends on your certifier but we are noticing the ones we deal with are really cracking down. So i would recommend you follow your approved landscaping plans to…

8/02/2024
Survey for those who built recently, building now or soon

Building A New House

https://form.jotform.com/240284569218058 Please spare a moment to fill out this survey form for a project. You stand a chance to win a digital gift voucher. Legitimate…

6/06/2023
Do you think this kitchen is original

Kitchen Corner

No. It's not original. Circa early to mid 90s would be my guess and maybe even as late as early 2000s

You are here
Building ForumFinishing Touch
Home
Pros
Forum