Join Login
Building ForumIdeas Box

Forum Features & Fixes - Requests

Page 1 of 2
Hi all,

Since running the new version of this forum we've applied the following features and fixes to date:

1. Favourites Update
The favourites members created in the previous forum have been carried over to the Bookmarks feature which is accessible via User Control Panel > Manage Bookmarks.

2. External Links
Links pointing to external sites now open in new windows.

3. No Horizontal Scroll - Safari Browser
Fixed top element of Discussion Tools which stretched out to the right creating horizontal scroll.

4. Updated Members Joined date
Time removed from Joined date within member profile left of post.

5. Removed Foes
Foes feature disabled.

6. Subforums Added
Added State sub-forums for Classifieds forum.

7. Recent Topics Fix
Topic Author appears beside thread name, as opposed to last poster.

8. Most Active Forum / Topics
Would not display if a member had greater than 5000 posts. Sorted.

9. Page Numbering Placement
Page numbering applied to top of page of View unanswered posts | View active topics View new posts | View your posts

10. Current Page Number (Coloured)
Colourized current page number for added user friendliness.

11. RSS
RSS added. Visitors and Members can subscribe to all public forums. Subscribable by All Forums, All Topics, All Post, Your Posts, By Forum, and By Topic

12. Facebook
Facebook links added to Topics only.

13. Edit Posts
Members are now able to edit posts.

14. Multiple Quoting
Members are able to quote multiple posts on topic pages.

15. Smilies
We've expanded our existing set of emoticons by an additional 60+.

16. View Unread Posts
View Unread Posts has been restored.

17. Submit Button Colourization
Submit button has been colourized so it's more apparent.

If you have any suggestions or feedback, please include them in this thread.
Ok number 8 explains what was going on and why it was only happening to me!

Thanks Jason, I think the changeover has been remarkably smooth. Well done.
joles
Ok number 8 explains what was going on and why it was only happening to me!

Thanks Jason, I think the changeover has been remarkably smooth. Well done.

I believe it was just Michelle and yourself with greater than 5K posts. Combined, you both make up about 10% of the entire forum's content.
I love all the new emoticons!!!
Great work Jason... probably the most feature rich forum I am a member of now... Before it was probably the opposite..

Great to see you listened to feedback and how quickly you implemented things.. Fantastic work...
Great job with the change over!

One thing I would like is on the index page where it lists the thread titles, if I hover my mouse over the thread title if a pop up preview shows the first 5-10 lines of the post.

Makes it easy to browse quicker as sometimes I forget from the thread title if I've read it or not and I click on it and then I have to go page back on my browser if I've read it can be a pain but could be avoided if I could preview by hovering over it...

Does that make any sense????
One thing I'd like to see is a "search by title" function... Rather than seraching by title and content....

The new forum looks great, only other recommendation would be to reduce the font size... You used to get about 20 posts per visible page before scrolling... Now it's only about 10 pages...
chuth77
One thing I'd like to see is a "search by title" function... Rather than seraching by title and content....

The new forum looks great, only other recommendation would be to reduce the font size... You used to get about 20 posts per visible page before scrolling... Now it's only about 10 pages...

Thanks for your feedback.

You can search by topic title. Click Search and then within the 'Search Within' area, click 'Topic Title Only' radio button.

With respect to font size, we've had more requests to increase as opposed to decreasing it. What do others think?
Renosmakemeweary
Great job with the change over!

One thing I would like is on the index page where it lists the thread titles, if I hover my mouse over the thread title if a pop up preview shows the first 5-10 lines of the post.

Makes it easy to browse quicker as sometimes I forget from the thread title if I've read it or not and I click on it and then I have to go page back on my browser if I've read it can be a pain but could be avoided if I could preview by hovering over it...

Does that make any sense????

That makes sense, but can add more load to the server and slow down the site. I'll see if there's a workaround.

Cheers,

Jason
ok
I am really bugged that now I can have unread posts on several pages and have read posts on the first page of a forum post thread. What happened to the option to be able to show all the unread posts? Showing "view new posts" is not the same thing. is there anyway this option can be returned? Please? Or at least can unread threads posts appear at the beginning of each thread.
........................................................................................................................................................
What is with the limit on the number of edits? I know both joles and myself have had an issue with this in the past week. No idea why joles did but for me sometimes I'd happily edit and add additional info to a post rather than boost my post count. Also I'm a terrible typoist. I often don't see my errors until I've submitted the post. or with the new posting size on photos sometimes it takes 4 or 5 edits to work out why something is not posting and fix it. The other day I had one photo that was correct according to the format and it still wouldn't post it. I think that was the day I got stopped from doing any more editing as I'd tried a ridiculous amount of times to "fix" something that shouldn't have been blocked.

Anyone else pressing the "save" instead of the "submit"? Well it's either that or I have replies not being posted. I've had a number of replies , not post in the last few days. Including one topic where I twice tried to reply. 2nd time 10 minutes later because when I went to read some other peoples replies I found mine was missing. In the end I gave up.

Edit : actually Joles it was one of your threads i was trying to reply to where i had 2 fails. in the end I decided that I just wasn't meant to post.
^^^ 2 and 3 have both been happening to me. My editting is usually spellchecking myself, and I ran out of edits for the day.

I've also had trouble posting replies a couple of times, both in threads and PMs.
kexkez
ok
I am really bugged that now I can have unread posts on several pages and have read posts on the first page of a forum post thread. What happened to the option to be able to show all the unread posts? Showing "view new posts" is not the same thing. is there anyway this option can be returned? Please? Or at least can unread threads posts appear at the beginning of each thread.

Try 'View Unread Posts'. It's there now.

kexkez
What is with the limit on the number of edits? I know both joles and myself have had an issue with this in the past week. No idea why joles did but for me sometimes I'd happily edit and add additional info to a post rather than boost my post count. Also I'm a terrible typoist. I often don't see my errors until I've submitted the post. or with the new posting size on photos sometimes it takes 4 or 5 edits to work out why something is not posting and fix it. The other day I had one photo that was correct according to the format and it still wouldn't post it. I think that was the day I got stopped from doing any more editing as I'd tried a ridiculous amount of times to "fix" something that shouldn't have been blocked.

There is a good reason why this has been implemented. It seems it's only affected a few. We'll look at increasing the no. of allowable edits within a certain timeframe.

kexkez
Anyone else pressing the "save" instead of the "submit"? Well it's either that or I have replies not being posted. I've had a number of replies , not post in the last few days. Including one topic where I twice tried to reply. 2nd time 10 minutes later because when I went to read some other peoples replies I found mine was missing. In the end I gave up.

Edit : actually Joles it was one of your threads i was trying to reply to where i had 2 fails. in the end I decided that I just wasn't meant to post.

The 'Submit' button is much more apparent now.
Oo thank you. Just home 10 mins form a trip to Perth and I'm having my h1 fix.
I'm liking the quick reply feature!!
Hi, I'm new here but I just thought I would add somethgn I thought might be helpfull.

In the 'Buidling a new House' Group it might be usefull to have a sub-forum at the top where you can put all the topics about individual building companies all together so they would be easier to find. So when you go in, it could be in the annoucements section called 'Building Companies' or something like that and you click on that and all the posts about 'Those building with so and so...' could all be there together.

It would save time searching through al the posts for them and make it easier for a newby to compare.

I hope that makes sense.

Cheers
Hi jason and mods

A few of us have a problem with our pm's. I have a few friends that I chat to on a regular basis and our names are on the same pm. Recently, when I press reply only the senders name appears and not the other names so some messages are sent only to 1 person and others miss out...the conversation gets really confusing
It started to happen after the new format for the forum started.

Would you be able to look at this little quirk as it would be much appreciated

I hope I have explained the problem properly.

Mrs B
Mrs B
Hi jason and mods

A few of us have a problem with our pm's. I have a few friends that I chat to on a regular basis and our names are on the same pm. Recently, when I press reply only the senders name appears and not the other names so some messages are sent only to 1 person and others miss out...the conversation gets really confusing
It started to happen after the new format for the forum started.

Would you be able to look at this little quirk as it would be much appreciated

I hope I have explained the problem properly.

Mrs B

agreed Mrs B!
I've mentioned this numerous times before... hopefully with a few more ppl talking about it it might get fixed??? pleeeease?
Hi Mrs B and donuts,

We're trying to reproduce the error so in turn we can explain it to the developers of this forum software.

Mrs B, can you please send myself (and donuts) a PM so I can test the reply option.

Cheers,

Jason
Will do.

Thanks Jason.
I don't know if it's been like this all the time, but I seem to recall it wasn't like this at all.

The text wrapping is driving me nuts. There seems to be no recognition of whole words, so that no matter how wide or narrow one makes the page, words are broken up to fit the width. It would be nicer if it kept the words as whole words, so it didn't look like this:

Thi
s is how it's us
ually done with thi
s "new" text wrapp
ing. It's annoying a
s hell.
Related
17/08/2023
Post submitted in wrong forum

Interior Decorating Lounge

Then delete the original. Dual posting is not allowed.

2/01/2024
In this forum we often rightly criticise builders....

Building A New House

In Victoria you cannot put a caveat on arising from a domestic building contract.

14/12/2023
How many builders are on this forum?

General Discussion

They already have two well known ones (HIA & MBA) that many new home buyers mistakenly think are regulatory bodies that Joe Public can complain to.

You are here
Building ForumIdeas Box
Home
Pros
Forum