Join Login
Building ForumReal Estate

Is this true about single storey homes?

Page 1 of 1
Hi
I have been researching about homes lately and saw some websites saying
single storey homes surrounded by double storey homes have less resale value
Is this true? I thought they would be more valued since they would be more rare if they are surrounded by double storey homes.
I would agree they have less resale value. It can feel a bit claustrophic to be 'looked down on' by your neighbours.
If ALL of the homes surrounding a single storey home are double storey, then it have lower resale value, however it will still be in demand by those who definately do not want a double storey home.

Whilst not impossible to have such a situation, it can happen in some areas, but from what I have seen around there are usually a nice mix of house types in nearly all areas.
It will have less resale value compared against the surround double storey homes. But I reckon it will be valued higher than a single storey home in another area surrounded by other single storey homes. Why? Because the double storey homes would have pushed up the median prices in that area already. Better to be the worst house on the best street than the best house on the worst street.

pongie
Better to be the worst house on the best street than the best house on the worst street.

Yeah, I aqree with this and so would many real estate agents. Location, location.. However if the single storey house has a problem with privacy even if it's only to the outdoor living areas, and lack of natural light due to overshadowing, then the resale price will definitely be affected.
Of course they will have less resale value as they cost less to build.

But I think they will increase in value at the same rate / % as your double storey house next door
Related
29/01/2024
Metricon Homes - Delta Single storey

Building A New House

Hello All 🙂 We are planning to start our journey of construction our first home. We zeroed down on Metricon and henley homes based on design suitable for our lot and…

31/10/2023
Acreage, double storey

Building A New House

We're in NSW, but designs from anywhere ok for inspo!

23/04/2024
Two storey house construction cost

Building A New House

The price you're seeing for a high-spec 2-storey home in Perth sounds steep, but unfortunately, it's kind of the norm these…

You are here
Building ForumReal Estate
Home
Pros
Forum