Join Login
Building ForumReal Estate

QUESTION - Would this put you off?

Page 1 of 1
We're looking to put our house on the market late next year. Currently the front of the houseis a gorgeous little cottage with timber french windows. We're going to have the house repainted grey with white windows, white facia boards, white verandah rails and white front door. The back of our house has more modern (though not my style) cream aluminium windows and a standard run of the mill sliding door with one of those horrid lattice security doors. Very practical and I've found the sliding door and security screendoor useful but for selling I feel it just lets our house down. I'm considering buying two timber french doors and painting them white to hang off the back doorframe that opens on to our patio... to replace the sliding door.
For open house we'd obviously have them open so the doorway is nice and wide opening onto our patio and backyard. As a potential buyer, would you find this offputting or do you think it would contribute to the overall charm of the house and any rational thoughts of impracticality would be secondary to the overall look and feel of the place? i.e. "This is beautiful... I'll change the doors but look what great entertaining space we could have..."
??

Or am I being silly?
Can you post a pic so we can see what the current door looks like? I hate those security screens as well! The french doors may not be practical unless they have a flyscreen - is that what you're planning to do?
Thanks,

The area currently looks like this (excuse the high chair, unruly yard and shopping on the floor! lol!):

... and now are thinking 2 bifold doors that match the front of our house to replace that back sliding door. French wouldn't work with what we've got planned for the kitchen window (below). Here's some of our front windows:

We want to make the kitchen window into something like this, but obviously it would be shorter:
Hi Kel,
I once owned a house with a door like you've got and I just removed the security door and it looked so much better.
Hi Abby!

Yeah I was thinking of that as an option too. I'm DEFINITELY doing it for the front door, lol... it's so old the paint's falling off... not a very nice first impression of the house. So many houses don't have front security doors now I think ours would look a whole lot better with it off and painting our old wooden door with nice fresh white paint.
l did same as Abby,
Going against the grain here - I would leave it be - looks ok to me and there are plenty of people, me included, who actually like to have a screen door (keeps flies out while letting breeze in etc) - therefore removeing it or replacing it would be a negative to me.
Does not look like a big area and french doors lose much more space in opening than sliding doors.
Also appears to me it has a pet flap door on it (ignore this comment if that small square on bottom of the door is not one) which wont hurt anyone who doesnt want it but could well be big plus for many others.
Related
9/07/2023
Would you do this reno?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Bought in Nov 21 at the height of the market (classic). Good area, atrocious floor plan. BUT has land out to the left-hand side that we can extend out on (see second…

12/11/2023
3m ceilings - how high would you have your kitchen cabinets?

Kitchen Corner

Thanks mate. Yeah good points! Leaning towards Option 3 to get a bit extra space in the cabinets but not going too crazy high (and expensive). Would require a mini…

18/01/2024
Would you consider these issues as defects

General Discussion

Hi It came to my attention after the handover that - The facade cladding on the face and the side are not straight. -The face tapers down by 50mm from left to right and…

You are here
Building ForumReal Estate
Home
Pros
Forum