Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Tree removal

Page 1 of 1
Good morning I am wondering if anyone here can help me with my enquire. I live in the Yarra Ranges and have been approach my neighbour who is wanting to sub divide her block and add 2x 2bedroom two story townhouses and a single story 3 bedroom home. She is also going to leave her family home on the block so 4 dwelling in all. The problem for her is that a have 2 very large lemon gum trees that are over 50 years old with very extensive tree roots that are proving to be a problem for her planned development. She has offered to pay for the removal of my trees. The question that I have is IF I agree to the removal would I be able to ask for compensation for the loss of my trees. They currently provide some privacy for me. Hope some advice here can help me decide which way to go. Many thanks
What is the council's policy re significant native tree removal?
I have checked with the council and the trees can be removed
How far away from your house are these trees? If they are within the tree root zone then your home might be at risk of damage from the trees as well. You could ask her to plant some mutually beneficial trees along the boundary to maintain your privacy, maybe share the costs?

Stewie
The trees are down my driveway a long distance from my house. She is planning to take up all the land with houses so not trees will be replaced
I'd make it a condition of your consent ( if you agree to removing your trees ) that she pays for some trees or shrubs to be planted on your side of the fence then. There are some species that can grow tall and not too bushy so that you will retain your privacy without them impacting your place too much. If there were trees there, on whose side of the fence would the majority of their shade fall?

Stewie
Her side gets most of the shade from the existing trees
Then go for it but choose the trees you want carefully - I'd say to a max of 5m high and get something in writing.

Stewie
Thank you so much for responding to me Your advise helps 😊
Good luck.

Stewie
Statsy
Good morning I am wondering if anyone here can help me with my enquire. I live in the Yarra Ranges and have been approach my neighbour who is wanting to sub divide her block and add 2x 2bedroom two story townhouses and a single story 3 bedroom home. She is also going to leave her family home on the block so 4 dwelling in all. The problem for her is that a have 2 very large lemon gum trees that are over 50 years old with very extensive tree roots that are proving to be a problem for her planned development. She has offered to pay for the removal of my trees. The question that I have is IF I agree to the removal would I be able to ask for compensation for the loss of my trees. They currently provide some privacy for me. Hope some advice here can help me decide which way to go. Many thanks

Yes I thought that might be the case. She hasn’t lodged any plans yet so,thinks that I will remove the trees.
How tall are the existing trees? They can get to 40-50m high and if one of those comes down in a storm it would flatten anything including whats on your property.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corymbia_citriodora
We have a small lemon scented tee tree up against our side boundary that has been pruned to 4m high. It is a very attractive tree and the leaves when crushed do smell very lemon like. Some councils will let you remove one big tree if you replace it with several smaller ones of the same species.

Stewie
Related
25/07/2023
Peeling plastic laminate - advice on removal?

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

At a bit of a loss on this one - we're thinking the original owners never removed the protective laminate covers from their kitchen cabinets after installation and in the…

3/09/2023
Natural stone- stain removal and gloss sealing

General Discussion

Hi, planning on using the attached stone pieces in my bathroom. I want to remove stains and gloss seal. Can I get some advice on best way to remove stains and best…

27/11/2023
Site Cut & Footing Excess Soil Removal

General Discussion

PM me your email. I have a build excavation calculator you can use based on your plans to double check what your builder is telling you. Cheers Simeon

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum