Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Builder's Warranty Query

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

Is the builder's warranty deemed void if you engage someone other than who the builder originally contracted, to rectify an issue?

We have extensive non-compliant plumbing work on our property. We are looking at getting someone other than the incompetent original plumber to rectify the damages.

Does anyone know if this would void our builder's warranty if there are further problems with the plumbing/house down the track?

Should you always have the original plumber back to rectify damages?
My understanding is that the plumbing warranty overrides the builder's liability and so you have to deal with the plumber. I would be contacting (in writing) the VBA stating the situation, your absolute lack of confidence in the original plumber and request their advice as to alternative measures.

I think that the best outcome they will offer is their overseeing the rectification work which should be mandatory with any credible regulatory body in any case. Unfortunately, the VBA is a toothless tiger controlled by pussycats.

Good luck.
SaveH2O
My understanding is that the plumbing warranty overrides the builder's liability and so you have to deal with the plumber. I would be contacting (in writing) the VBA stating the situation, your absolute lack of confidence in the original plumber and request their advice as to alternative measures.

I think that the best outcome they will offer is their overseeing the rectification work which should be mandatory with any credible regulatory body in any case. Unfortunately, the VBA is a toothless tiger controlled by pussycats.

Good luck.

Thanks SaveH2O.

Unfortunately, I have an absolute lack of confidence in both the original plumber and the VBA.

Toothless tiger is putting it mildly
Caught between a crock and a tard place.

tard
Noun
(plural 'tards)

1. (slang) Used to form words conveying an attitude of contempt or doubt over the subject's intelligence.
  2. (slang) A thing associated with persons of low intelligence.
SaveH2O
Caught between a crock and a tard place.

tard
Noun
(plural 'tards)

1. (slang) Used to form words conveying an attitude of contempt or doubt over the subject's intelligence.
  2. (slang) A thing associated with persons of low intelligence.

@SaveH20 that is a pretty offensive way to describe someone It is a shorten version of a word used inappropriately to describe someone with a mental disability.

@ forrestmount, you obviously do not know the background of the context I used to describe the VBA.

The etymology of the word retard is traced back to the Latin words re (meaning back) and tardus (meaning slow) from which the Latin retardare was derived.

It is often used in different context, for example, to retard a motor or pump, an expression commonly used in the industry I am in.

Merriam-Webster define retard as a transitive verb and states "to delay or impede the development or progress of : to slow up especially by preventing or hindering advance or accomplishment." Numerous lexicons have similar and other meanings.

The VBA was set up with retarded regulatory powers and while their powers have been incrementally increased by small degrees over the years, the organisational structure and resultant failures to act on issues to protect new home buyers is still very real. What I find offensive is their history of ignoring and/or failing to act on serious non compliant construction issues and bad building practices that cause new home owners dreams to evaporate in financial ruin, broken marriages and documented suicides.

Anyone of reasonable intelligence familiar with the VBA knows that the failure of those in positions of power to remodel the now discredited VBA into a respected regulatory body that protects new home buyers rather than continuing with unfathomable lack of actions and/or poor decisions that often lack any semblance of intelligent/knowledgeable reasoning reasonably casts doubt over the intelligence of those responsible for those decisions. As such, I stand by my description of this offensive 'regulatory' body, those responsible for establishing the VBA as a toothless tiger and those in positions of power who have failed to exercise their consumer responsibility and social conscience to bring about much needed regulatory changes to protect new home owners.
Related
4/09/2023
driveway related query

Paving & Concreting

Thank you ponzutwo for the information, much appreciated.

9/10/2023
Payment Structure Query in MBA Contract: Seeking Advice

Building A New House

There is no reason why building contract reconciliation cannot be done prior to handover, if the builder won't do it get someone to do it for you. Why would you pay for…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum