Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Buying a property, neighbor has pipes overhanging

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

Im looking at purchasing a property in Sydney (inner west), its a deceased estate and the neighbour has an extension right on the boundary line, with cabling running what seems to be over the boundary. Check the photo, this is from the side access of the property im looking to buy:

The brick wall in the foreground is actually a brick fence, which stops and this ugly extension juts out. The extension might even be over the boundary line itself, considering that its directly in line with the fence.

My question is, are you allowed to build ON the boundary line like this? And even if you can, are you able to run pipes / cables that clearly overhang?

Because its a deceased estate, i'm worried that they just got the "ok" from the old lady who owned the place and she didnt mind. But I really dont think its right and it might end up being a mess with the new neighbour. if you look, they've actually had to cut under the post thats holding up the gate, what If I wanted to replace this gate in the future? Would I need to not obstruct their pipes?

Thanks everyone
Hi adjwhite86

Yes you can build on the boundary line (usually 20mm inside) and it's called zero lot. However you can't then run pipes along the outside. The only way to know for sure would be to get a survey done of that boundary so you know if they are encroaching on your land.

The other issue would be the legalities of the construction. That's not a brick wall so they really would struggle with the required fire rating if it's zero lot. I'd wonder if they actually have council approval for what is constructed there. It's certainly not up to code.
Related
27/08/2023
Sewer pipes under slab

General Discussion

Thanks that link in particular is really useful.

26/12/2023
Paving Concrete Over Termguard Pipes

Building A New House

As most others have posted above the install isn't compliant. The pipe is meant to be covered in loose soil or sand, the pipe has holes in it that leaks out a termicide…

15/01/2024
Slim line water tank and strange pipes

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Thank you for the generous offer. I need to get the plumber out to give me an explanation. As mentioned I haven't seen any rain water discharge from pipes 1& 3. It…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum