Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Trees on the boundary of the land

Page 1 of 1
We have put a deposit of the land, while reviewing the vegetation plan, we noticed that there 6 trees close to our boundary. Infact tree number 43 and 46 are just inches away from the boundary. As per the site map, our garage would be on the same side and its narrow lot, so we are forced go with zero boundary on the garage side.

The trees on the edges are camphour laurel and hickory wattle.

1. would the council budge if i request them to remove it? Builder reckons its going to affect the building process and also increase the budget?

2. I am worried about future issues related to the roots?

3. Would installing a root barrier help?
Whose land are the tree's 43 and 46 on?
Also look at your council regulations on trees, there may be a limit on how close to boundary the tree is allowed to be.
If the trees are on neighbour s land it is a civil matter that council do not get involved in.
I don't know much but when I was choosing lots and approaching builders. One of the builder advised to avoid corner lots when specially with narrow lots. There's something called Tree Protection which is required to be done, reducing the building area and adding to the build price.
tourier
Whose land are the tree's 43 and 46 on?

The trees are on the neighbouring lots, which has remained un-maintained for at least 10 years now. i am going to do a title search and request the owners to clear the tree and the debris on their lot.
KameGame
I don't know much but when I was choosing lots and approaching builders. One of the builder advised to avoid corner lots when specially with narrow lots. There's something called Tree Protection which is required to be done, reducing the building area and adding to the build price.

Thanks Kamegame, is "tree protection" a govt requirement or additional slab / root barrier we require from a building point of view?
viju_009
KameGame

Thanks Kamegame, is "tree protection" a govt requirement or additional slab / root barrier we require from a building point of view?

It's a council requirements, google for Tree Protection for your council. You'll be able to see some documentation. Speak to the builder, they must be able to give a cost estimate.
In my case, since all the blocks were narrow the builder advised to corner blocks as it may cut down the building space on the lot.
KameGame
viju_009
KameGame

It's a council requirements, google for Tree Protection for your council. You'll be able to see some documentation. Speak to the builder, they must be able to give a cost estimate.
In my case, since all the blocks were narrow the builder advised to corner blocks as it may cut down the building space on the lot.

thanks, the trees are not on my site and as per Brisbane council, the trees i listed are considered as noxious weeds, so i am allowed to cut them. My challenge is the trees are part of the neighbours land, so I need to request him to cut it.
I would prefer to install engineer designed piers than a root barrier. Root barriers are often not deep or wide enough to be effective
long term. If your neighbour does cut down the trees depending on your soil type your house may experience rebound heave.
insider
I would prefer to install engineer designed piers than a root barrier. Root barriers are often not deep or wide enough to be effective
long term. If your neighbour does cut down the trees depending on your soil type your house may experience rebound heave.

Thank you insider.insider

Thats a very critical information you have given.

So, when my builder gives me a quote, I should look for engineer designed peers? Is there a specific length and material I am looking for??

Like waffle slabs etcs?
I
Thank you. The soul test have come back as M soil and site classification as P.
then most probably it will be bored piers
alexp79
then most probably it will be bored piers

Thank you Alex and insider. Will keep you all posted on the progress
viju_009

You might need bored piers/steel piles, this can be removed or reduce depending on the distance between the tree/s and slab, root barriers are not an effective solution.

Do not remove trees before talking to to your engineer.
Structural.Review
viju_009

You might need bored piers/steel piles, this can be removed or reduce depending on the distance between the tree/s and slab, root barriers are not an effective solution.

Sure @structural.Review. I have shared the vegetation map, we are buying lot 4.

The garage comes in the south-east side of the plot, tree numbers - 43 to 46 are less than a meter from the boundary.

Being a 10m wide block, we will be building the garage on the boundary.

Would it help I delay the building process and first request the owner to remove the tree or he agrees that i remove it and then get a quote for the house and commence the build process?
viju_009
Structural.Review
viju_009

Sure @structural.Review. I have shared the vegetation map, we are buying lot 4.

The garage comes in the south-east side of the plot, tree numbers - 43 to 46 are less than a meter from the boundary.

Being a 10m wide block, we will be building the garage on the boundary.

Would it help I delay the building process and first request the owner to remove the tree or he agrees that i remove it and then get a quote for the house and commence the build process?

If you keep the trees, your engineer needs to stiffen the slab for tree effect or use piers( my suggestion)

Removing trees will cause significant moisture changes, over the time this moisture changes will be reduced, generally geotech engineers say it takes 1-2 years, so I suggest you to consult with your soil tester and engineer to confirm the effect of tree removal before doing it, you might increase your cost by removing it.
Perfect will speak to the builder about it. thank you so much.
find someone who cutting trees to ask if you can remove them or cut, and how to deal with council, that's what your builder will do, then you will know better how it works.
MIC Martin
find someone who cutting trees to ask if you can remove them or cut, and how to deal with council, that's what your builder will do, then you will know better how it works.

Thanks, I have done that part, the council has confirmed we can cut the trees and no approval required.

Its the tree keeper - owner of the land where the tree is has to cut the tree. I am trying to find out who the owner is since its barren land. May be title search through my solicitors.
Related
24/03/2024
Purpose of site survey: boundaries, slope, trees? what else?

Owner Builder Forum

A survey must’ve completed by a certified surveyor. This form part of every DA requirement

19/07/2023
URGENT·····Garage Boundary Wall Water Proofing Issue

Building A New House

thanks Chippy, i hope they have applied sealer but i am doubt to be honest, so i am gonna do this job after handover.

19/08/2023
Easement and building garage to boundary

Renovation + Home Improvement

You should be able to encase the sewer but you will need it designed and approved and access to lot 580 to do the work

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum