Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

House slab

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys,

Yesterday our house slab was poured. And from 4am this morning Perth has been bucketing down with rain and isn't expected to ease off until lunch time.

What I'm worried about if the rain will affect the slab at all?

Cheers
It's all good. Infact ponding of water on a new slab is a good thing as it helps with the curing.
The worst thing for concrete is hot dry weather that allows the slab to dry out to quick.
chippy
It's all good. Infact ponding of water on a new slab is a good thing as it helps with the curing.
The worst thing for concrete is hot dry weather that allows the slab to dry out to quick.

Oh that's great to hear. I've sent an email off to the builder to ask also and I haven't heard back from them and I haven't been told who my site supervisor is yet so I couldn't even ask him either.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease
In the old days, concrete was actually supposed to be watered or hydrated. Current formulas has negated that need to hydrate it during curing. The only worry you should have is hard rain as it could ruin the finish. But you mentioned it was laid yesterday - it should be hard enough to take the landing of rain droplets (a person could step on concrete within a few hours).
chippy

We are planning our slab for January! Awesome news.
Related
14/09/2023
New house land/slab drainage?

General Discussion

Thanks for the heads up mate, greatly appreciated 👍

5/04/2024
Slab for 424 sqm house in North Kellyville NSW

Building A New House

Petercurtis You able to contact the certifier and get a copy of your structural plans, if they are not in your contract. If your home was approved via CDC then they…

13/05/2023
Retaining wall under patio slab

Landscape & Garden Design

Thanks for the insights, that makes perfect sense, and yeah, I will be leaning on the experience of the excavator operator entirely.

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum