Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Feedback on 2story narrow house

Page 2 of 2
Shorter plumbing runs save money (& water). So the one time that the southern ensuite (which is a good location) would have saved you money is if the kitchen/pantry/ laundry were also in the south side.

It certainly is a puzzle. Trying to juggle all the spaces, while making them both efficient in terms of space, & how you'll use them, while also being thermally efficient to improve comfort & lower bills.
Actually you could have shower on left, toilet in centre and vanity along western wall and have a massive window facing south, but many dont like seeing the toilet in full view. Then youd have nth sth breeze
Do you mind sharing the site dimensions. Honestly, 20 sqm is a small for a double storey and economically it might be worth going for a single storey. Unless this is your forever home and you absolutely need a double storey.
I am first time buyer and got a 12.5 * 27 land and went through similar dilemma before finalising on a plan.
KameGame
Do you mind sharing the site dimensions. Honestly, 20 sqm is a small for a double storey and economically it might be worth going for a single storey. Unless this is your forever home and you absolutely need a double storey.
I am first time buyer and got a 12.5 * 27 land and went through similar dilemma before finalising on a plan.

hi Kamegame,

I have put a deposit on land which is ~15 km from Brisbane cbd, it measures 10.1 X 37m.

We are certainly looking at this as long term perspective.
With the block like this I would be strongly considering 4 story house.

One floor under the ground (including garage, storage, laundry and media), two stories (living areas + bedrooms) + warm attic floor (master bedroom) with cathedral-type roofing. Also, you can have back portion of your house to have flat roofing and put a nice garden there. Your bedrooms would need to go higher than other houses around you and flat roof + living attic will help to achieve it.

You would need to orient living areas towards the back of your house and have nice wall glazing from both sides plus enough distance on the backyard for light to flow in. Consider putting a court yard type garden at the front.

Lift would be nice to have too.

Will be quite expensive to build, though, est. $4-5K per sqm.
alexp79
With the block like this I would be strongly considering 4 story house.

One floor under the ground (including garage, storage, laundry and media), two stories (living areas + bedrooms) + warm attic floor (master bedroom) with cathedral-type roofing. Also, you can have back portion of your house to have flat roofing and put a nice garden there. Your bedrooms would need to go higher than other houses around you and flat roof + living attic will help to achieve it.

You would need to orient living areas towards the back of your house and have nice wall glazing from both sides plus enough distance on the backyard for light to flow in. Consider putting a court yard type garden at the front.

Lift would be nice to have too.

Will be quite expensive to build, though, est. $4-5K per sqm.

Thanks Alex, you have inspired me to save more money. My next house would definitely be like that. With my current budget I will have to be content with this plan unfortunately 😔😔
Our ensuite and toilet are at the back of the house which is due west. The best idea as the area dries very quickly and the fact that it gets hot doesn't matter as you are not sleeping or living in that area. We find it a perfect fit for us.
Team,

our builder has come back with the design we discussed in this forum, let me know your thought, my immediate thoughts are the design looks a bit stunted.

Also, another question is should we really have the L shaped alfresco living combination or should we join the living and dining to gether so that we get more space out of the kitchen?

Can I see upstairs? I actually like how theres ckearly defined living vs dining spaces TBH.

Howd it affect your price?
Are you sure you dont want to extend the roof over the alfresco though?
alymei
Can I see upstairs? I actually like how theres ckearly defined living vs dining spaces TBH.

Howd it affect your price?

In fact it is bringing the price down as the length of the house has come down by 2 mrs. but do you think 3x2 dining room is enough for a 6 seater and buffet table + cabinetry ??? I wasn't sure. still confused. appreciate your perspective

upstairs alymei
Can you show me a plan with dimensions on it please? A site plan would be good too

So are you considering where the future alfresco is to go, you make that part of the living area space? Does that mean you dont want any future outdoor living area?

Combining it is ok, but you dont want those west facing sliding doors if theres no alfresco roof over it
alymei
Can you show me a plan with dimensions on it please? A site plan would be good too

So are you considering where the future alfresco is to go, you make that part of the living area space? Does that mean you dont want any future outdoor living area?

Combining it is ok, but you dont want those west facing sliding doors if theres no alfresco roof over it

I think I will go with sliding door and open it up to the alfresco. I am hoping having an alresco would bring some much needed shade to the living and also the dining.

I am finding the dining to be very small. I might revert to the older plan where dining and living was combined but with an alfresco.
I dont think the dining is too small, its almost 3.7m long. An 8 seater table is like 2.1m.

Id leave dining as is and integrate the proposed alfresco space into the house - this would make living room 6.2m wide
I suggest swapping the dining and alfresco location. This gives you one big living area which will feel much more generous and be easier to furnish.

Team, We ended with this plan and we sort of like it now. The windows were missed, but I am going to ask them to include a large window on the northern wall and two small windows on the western wall. I am hoping to deal with the western sun with some external shading techniques.
Related
23/11/2023
Maximum Garage Width - Narrow Lot (Willoughby Council NSW)

Building A New House

Thanks again for this information. If you do hear anything different, would be great to know >

8/12/2023
Narrow block design with 2 car space

General Discussion

dimensions on your original plan are inconsistent and with accurate dimensions (including site plan, upstairs and down) i could make a proper scale drawing with furniture…

28/04/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

Looks promising! Hope the weather holds for you.

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum