Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

connecting hose to downpipe for rainwater

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

Does anyone know how to connect a hose to a downpipe cleanly so i could divert the water from the roof into my fishpond?

I cant find anything on the market similar to this product
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeyCTy68_Gk&t=

It doesnt have to have a switch to turn it on and off but i am having a hard time finding water diverters/water butts to fit my existing 60mm round downpipe.
There is all manner of plumbing connectors/adapters etc that you could use. Just have a look online or go to the plumbing dept in Bunnings.

Stewie
What is the fish pond's volumetric capacity?

Mains water is not good for fish but either is the initial dirty roof wash. You should divert the roof wash (first flush) and have a small tank so that you can deliver the correct amount of decanted water as required.

Also be aware that rainwater is naturally acidic but this can be neutralised.
the fish pond is pretty small, only around 200litres

The roof is a small pergola with clear sheet roofing so is a first flush still required?

I'm trying to keep the fishpond as natural as possible and maintenance free like in the wild.
1mm of water on 1 sq m = 1 litre.

First flush consists of airborne sourced pollutants, bird droppings etc plus mud rain is now another factor as numerous pool and water tank owners recently found out.

Fish keeping is not in my area of expertise but depending on the pergola's roof area Vs the pond's surface area, you would most probably need to be in attendance whenever direct diversion was needed if you fitted for example a 3 way diverter.

Having a mosquito proof water storage barrel or similar would be beneficial during long dry periods. There are large decorative garden urns available that would also be a feature and a vessel could be fitted with a low (hidden) inlet valve to respect the urn's aesthetic value. The same inlet could also serve as the "topper upper" to keep things simple by using an additional inline valve.

A cheaper course would be to buy a plastic barrel off eBay or Gumtree. There is usually a variety and different sizes to choose from.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/altona- ... 1202870143

thanks i'll look into this further.
Related
2/04/2024
Extending Washing Machine Hose

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hey all Currently renovating our laundry, bought a new washing machine but have found that the drainage hose is alot shorter than the old machine (which I used to get the…

22/01/2024
Builder connecting our new toilet for his trades

Bathrooms and Laundry

"Losers" "humanity" "off time" "your" "top notch" "love symbol" Sounds like ponzo is done using other people's toilets

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum