Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Shop to residential conversion - where to start? [MEL]

Page 1 of 1
Good morning.

Unfortunately, I've just had my tenants move out of my commercial/residential property, and with the market being the way it is, selling it would not be a great option, so I was thinking of renovating/converting it to those hipster homes.
The property is 5m x 45m, old double brick, double storey with the slope upwards. North sun is from the back. Its currently dark and gloomy the way it is.

It needs quite a bit of work done to it, but I have no idea where to start or whom to ask - architect or draftsperson, any recommendations?

My dream plan:
3-4 bedrooms
Open living
Rear (narrow) double garage via lane way, with a studio (1 bed/bath/kitchenette?) on top.

Budget - not sure what is involved with a project like this but, lets start with $100-150k?

I'm quite capable with some DIY for the internal stuff (plastering, painting, tiling, fittings etc).

Has anyone done a project like this and/or would be able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Paul

Firstly talk to the planning department of your council, you will most likely need planning permit
Conversion from commercial to residential will require building permit
You will need an architect or if too expensive then architectural draftsperson
building-expert
Firstly talk to the planning department of your council, you will most likely need planning permit
Conversion from commercial to residential will require building permit
You will need an architect or if too expensive then architectural draftsperson

Spot on with building expert items first. Budget of $100k-$150k will get a base fit out job. Change of use may trigger some further significant works.

Good luck
Cheers for the reply!

I've just reached out to Superdraft for a consult to get a base idea of where to go.
Related
12/12/2023
Rumpus conversion to a master with ensuite

Renovation + Home Improvement

From the information posted it looks to me your rumpus room is nothing more than extended garage. That will present a number of challenges. Single brick wall between…

22/01/2024
(Another) garage conversion advice thread

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, Apologies - I know there is plenty out there on this but struggling to put together the puzzle. We're planning our garage/external laundry to master bedroom and…

27/02/2024
Shed conversion

Owner Builder Forum

Because it only states 90mm not if it’s 45mm or 35mm and yes I do have the plans my question was specifically since it’s not the structural value and only to hold…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum