Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Rain Water Pump - included in 7 year building warranty?

Page 1 of 1
Hello all, help I need some advise please.

I've built a new home and handover was in Feb 2017. I understand that there is a builders warranty for any defects in the home etc.

Is the rain water pump included? I've recently discovered that the rain water pump is no longer pumping water into our toilets. Is this considered wear and tear? I've dug out the rain water user manual and it says only a 2 year warranty.

Is the pump something I need to maintain, or service them? Any advice is good, just need a view on the warranty before I ring up my builder.

The rain water pump is by Zenox pumps, ZHR series and has Hyjet on the circuit box.

Now I'm not sure if its spoilt entirely, or just needs a clean. It has the "failure" lights, pumps restarts but stops after. Basically the motor runs for s short time then stops
The manufacturer's warranty applies but put the claim in against the builder, he made his 20% mark up to cover such events. As such, he is the retailer.

Put everything in writing, don't verbal.
Depending on what state you are in, the 7 year warranty is a structural warranty and does not apply to anything else other than the structure. Everything else comes under normal manufacturers warranty.

You likely have but Have you tried re-setting the pump and other trouble shooting including is there water in the tank to be pumped.
When the pump stops, is (mains) water still delivered?
SaveH2O
The manufacturer's warranty applies but put the claim in against the builder, he made his 20% mark up to cover such events. As such, he is the retailer.

Put everything in writing, don't verbal.

Tried it, the builder came back by giving me reference to the plumber and that it is all manufacturers warranty from then on.
Gaudi
You likely have but Have you tried re-setting the pump and other trouble shooting including is there water in the tank to be pumped.

Tried it, it resets. Pumps and then stops again. When we first moved in, the pump triggers everytime someone flushes the toilet.
SaveH2O
When the pump stops, is (mains) water still delivered?

The above was not replied to.

In your opening post (January 2020), you stated that you moved into the house in February 2017. Australian Consumer Law Applied Warranty also applies to all new goods, in your case additional to the manufacturer's 2 year warranty. A reasonable fair use life expectation would be more than 2 years but right now you don't know the extent of the problem. Unfortunately, I could not find the unit's fitting instructions and terms and conditions of warranty.

https://www.accc.gov.au/business/treati ... st-defects

Has the pump been under a well ventilated cover or exposed to the elements?

If the pump has failed because it was badly installed, that would strengthen your case with the builder but you would need someone with knowledge in the art to inspect/examine the pump and switching device and provide a report to take it further. Right now you don't know whether either unit needs replacing or whether it is a simple fix.

Zenox Pumps are located at Keilor Park. Because the pump and mains water switching device is out of warranty, you should now contact them, discuss the situation with them and ask if they have a service department or accredited service centres. Also take some photos that show how the pump's suction line has been connected between the tank and the pump.

Phone: 03 9336 1000
Address: 32 McGregors Drive, Keilor Park, VIC 3042

Good luck.
Hello, apologies I missed to reply. Yes the mains water still delivered even when the pump stops.
SaveH2O
Has the pump been under a well ventilated cover or exposed to the elements?

Yes it has a covered and protected from the elements. However, its not the tidiest fix in my opinion.

SaveH2O
Right now you don't know whether either unit needs replacing or whether it is a simple fix.

That's right,need to get someone to view it.
cesarspalace
Yes the mains water still delivered even when the pump stops.

That eliminates the switching device being at fault. They have used a hydraulically operated device and they are pretty much bullet proof. A good choice.

Although an unlikely cause, you could check the pump's prime. If water is discharged to a tank's top meshed inlet that is fitted above the outlet that supplies the pump and the water level is down a bit when the pump comes on, the pump can/will draw air bubbles if water is dropping into the tank. While uncommon, a pump can sometimes draw enough air to create a problem if the pump's pressure controller detects low pressure. Checking the prime is simple enough to do.
Related
18/01/2024
Tap in rain water tank?

General Discussion

Can a plumber put a tap on a rain water tank which is full? Tank is similar to one in photo. Cheers.

8/11/2023
Kitchen Quote - What should be included?

Kitchen Corner

hey there! ๐Ÿ˜Š so, itโ€™s kinda common for standard drawer depths to be around 500mm since most cabinets use this size to fit the usual runners…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum