Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Going with full render - do brick work over garage need unde

Page 1 of 1
Dear All,

Looking for an expert opinion from you. I originally decide to have facade part render and brick work over garage. No after seeing few display homes, decided to go with facade full render. However, it is noticed that with the full render at the display home I saw, they have kind of visible joint apparently making me feel that it has fiber cement sheet and not brick over the garage.

As per developer requirements brickwork over the garage or render over the garage is mandatory. Brickwork over garage costs $1750 and render would be additional.

Is there a need to have brickwork over the garage when the complete rendering is done? Aesthetically and structurally what is the best option? Like the best to avoid cracking etc.

Fiber Cement sheet + render ( cheaper )
or
Brickwork + render ( costly by $1750) - just worried whether spending extra will not have any effect as it would get buried underneath.

Could you please provide your suggestions.

Below is the photo of the render from display home

Thanks in advance
Picture of garage may be rendered Hebel.
Thanks for that. What to choose for brick houses? Render with or without brickwork? Can you render on top of FC sheet? or would it be just painting?
ssyi

or
Brickwork + render ( costly by $1750) - just worried whether spending extra will not have any effect as it would get buried underneath.

Thanks in advance

Hi ssyi
Why cheapen your facade with a rendered pelmet that will probably vibrate with the opening and closing of the garage door?
Structurally it is better to tie the nibs to a t bar and brickwork above
Cost of a T-bar ($200) + brickwork ($200) $1750 ?
Cheers
Chris
StructuralBIMGuy
ssyi

or

Thanks in advance

Hi ssyi
Why cheapen your facade with a rendered pelmet that will probably vibrate with the opening and closing of the garage door?
Structurally it is better to tie the nibs to a t bar and brickwork above
Cost of a T-bar ($200) + brickwork ($200) $1750 ?
Cheers
Chris

Thanks a lot Chris. Sorry to ask noob question. Is T-bar part of brickwork over garrage as a standard. My builder do not provide me these kind of information rather than charging me $1750 for brickwork over garage.

I assume it would not something achievable post handover. So right now the best option would be to have thw brickwork over garrage ($1750) and then render (probably another ripoff $ figure for render) ?

Thank you.
Sorry, structural lintels can't be added in after handover
That's a price comparison you should have got before you handed over the deposit, now it's hard to negotiate any reductions on price as the builder charges extra and in many cases gouges back extra profit.
I can't stress how important it is to know how trades are priced up so that you can make informed decisions on the opposite side of the equation the builder is entitled to a fair profit so use this knowledge wisely and negotiate fairly
Generally there is no extra charge by the plasterer over openings
Openings aren't deducted in the initial pricing, it is calculated as a gross area ie
Brickwork (m2) + Windows (m2) = Plastering (m2)
alternatively it's approximately a m2 of brickwork above the lintel (plastering $20/m2)
hth
Related
28/03/2024
Full Brick Double Storey 38Sq House Price Estimated?

Building A New House

Hi Kristy Around $1.7-1.8m or around $4,600/sqm. if you PM me your email I will send you a break up in a spreadsheet so you can get an understanding of the costs for…

16/04/2024
Brick work cracks

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

could be the footing or being hard up against the other wall with no expansion joint or both. You could try again with brick mesh and use some sticky back foam against the…

23/02/2024
Councils over interpreting brick covenant?

Building A New House

I recently hit a snag with my new build with Metricon. On the block I purchased there is an old covenant when the land was subdivided in 1971 that "the exterior walls of…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum