Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Neighbours slab higher than my house

Page 1 of 1
Hi i have a concern for my property under construction as i recently find out that my neighbour slab is higher than both the adjoining houses. I am worrying about if this needs a retaining wall and if do then who is bearing its expense.

If it's on his land,he will pay and can't let run off water go into your property,or you could place on boundary and go halves,would probably mean less run off into your slab.

Joker
If it's on his land,he will pay and can't let run off water go into your property,or you could place on boundary and go halves,would probably mean less run off into your slab.

Thanks
Adil
.......my neighbour slab is higher than both the adjoining houses. I am worrying about if this needs a retaining wall and if do then who is bearing its expense.

It depends on what the natural ground levels were and who altered what.
this house has a slab higher than both adjoining houses . There are 4 properties side by side the rest are almost on same height except this and originally the soil was all flat prior to slab been poured
Hey mate, I work at a surveying firm and the retaining wall cost is always paid for by the person it benefits. They are in full, so they are being benefited. It is their cost.
Same issue,next door house slab was built higher than mine and the ajoining house.The reason I purchase the land as it was a flat block and carpark for porter davis dispaly homes.So all 3 vacant blocks where the same level.I realised as building was proceeding there was an issue, lots of water was coming in from next door because the builder alevated there soil and there concrete slab was sitting much higher,wasnt impressed but didnt know what could be done so went ahead and built a retainer wall,but still get heaps of water with heavy rains from next door.So next step is concrete pathway with lots of drainage.All because of the builder not having any consideration.or the owners for that matter.
How does his slab being slightly higher effect your home?
treasuredpets
wasnt impressed but didnt know what could be done so went ahead and built a retainer wall,but still get heaps of water with heavy rains from next door.So next step is concrete pathway with lots of drainage.All because of the builder not having any consideration.or the owners for that matter.

You needed to make proper enquiries at the time. The retaining wall needed to be on their side.
All their roof water and water from hard surfaces has to be directed to the council kerb and gutter ( in our neck of the woods anyway). I doubt whether the amount of rain falling on his side boundary area would constitute much at all. If there is, or there is a lot more than there should be, then you need to go see the council and talk to them. Have all his gutters and downpipes been connected to stormwater pipes?

Stewie
SaveH2O
treasuredpets
wasnt impressed but didnt know what could be done so went ahead and built a retainer wall,but still get heaps of water with heavy rains from next door.So next step is concrete pathway with lots of drainage.All because of the builder not having any consideration.or the owners for that matter.

You needed to make proper enquiries at the time. The retaining wall needed to be on their side.

Thank you where would you go to get this information thanks.
The VBA, building forums like Homeone etc.
Related
17/09/2023
Structural Issue - DPC Higher than finished floor level

Building A New House

interesting situation what happened after builder issued final invoice? did you list as defect or not does the building surveyor have any responsibility? ie. issuing…

3/12/2023
Neighbours rights to house access during reno

General Discussion

The only thing to add to these comments is that where possible it's always good to try and work with people than just say "no" because you can. Having someone…

13/06/2023
Weep holes neighbours

General Discussion

it depends on the natural ground level, if they excavated their boundary wall needed to be built as a retaining wall. If you filled, which sounds like the case then you…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum