Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Plumbing washing machine into rainwater tank?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all

I've been thinking about plumbing the waste pipe from my washing machine into our rainwater tank. If I only use the tank water for the lawn and toilets, does anyone see me having an issue? The only one that comes to mind is whether or not the washing machine pump is strong enough to pump the water high enough to into the tank.

Thank in advance!
I remember we used "grey" water like this in another time and place.

But - we just had a pipe from the machine to the spot we wanted - garden/lawn/whatever. Often you don't want it directly on the thing - maybe to a hole nearby - eg for a tree.
meminiau
Hi all

I've been thinking about plumbing the waste pipe from my washing machine into our rainwater tank. If I only use the tank water for the lawn and toilets, does anyone see me having an issue? The only one that comes to mind is whether or not the washing machine pump is strong enough to pump the water high enough to into the tank.

Thank in advance!

Real bad idea.

You cannot store grey water for more than 24 hours.

The washing machine pump is not suitable.

Just use the final rinse on the garden and also plumb more downpipes to the tank but make sure that the tank is not in risk of overtopping during heavy rain.
We had our communal laundry use the rainwater tank that switched over to the normal water when the water got below a certain level in the tank.
The problem. Our Climate. Due to lack of constant rain turnover, tank water would go 'stale' and leave people's clothes with a nasty after smell. We had to abandon it and just leave the tank for the lawns.
dav2708
We had our communal laundry use the rainwater tank that switched over to the normal water when the water got below a certain level in the tank.
The problem. Our Climate. Due to lack of constant rain turnover, tank water would go 'stale' and leave people's clothes with a nasty after smell. We had to abandon it and just leave the tank for the lawns.

The rainwater harvesting system was obviously sub standard.

If a rainwater harvesting system is competently designed and plumbed, the water will be sweet and not become anaerobic. Unfortunately, most (I estimate +95%) water tank installations are sub standard (and overpriced).
Thanks for your thoughts everyone!
Related
2/04/2024
Extending Washing Machine Hose

Bathrooms and Laundry

Hey all Currently renovating our laundry, bought a new washing machine but have found that the drainage hose is alot shorter than the old machine (which I used to get the…

23/05/2023
Rainwater Tank not filling

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

But if it is a ground level open pit, then it is not a charged system. No surprises there. The pipes have obviously been altered and there would be a reason for this.…

9/11/2023
Rainwater tank - screaming sound

General Discussion

Grate, thank you! RexChan if thats the reason i could sleep well without thinking about additional cost. But 1st i'll need to read about NRV cleaning/replaing stuff. I…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum