Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Coral Homes Grange 28 build time

Page 1 of 2
Hey all,

We have paid the $1750 deposit and signed the preliminary agreement with Coral Homes 2 weeks ago. Soil reports have been done along with our contour report. We've received what the house will look like on the block also.

We are just trying to gauge an average length of time it took for the tender to come through. We are building on the Mid North Coast NSW a Grange 28 modified. All modifications have been submitted pretender which apparently helps speed things up. We will be doing our selection in QLD head office as it's closest to where we are.

Any other fellow Coral Home customers care to share their thoughts?
Hi,

My boyfriend and I paid the deposit and signed the docs Saturday just gone, 'll be following your thread as its roughly the same timeline!

We're building the Noosa 23MK11!!
Zara99
Awesome! Such an exciting time. Look out for yoyr sign. They put our sign on our block a couple of days after paying the deposit.
Zara99
Hi,

My boyfriend and I paid the deposit and signed the docs Saturday just gone, 'll be following your thread as its roughly the same timeline!

Zara99

We got an email yesterday saying our express contract paperwork is expected to reach our local office Friday 11th October. We were told it will include final fixed price tender letter, standard specifications, final set of plans, progress payment schedule, builders insurances and the HIA building contract. We then have a meeting with them on Sunday 13th to go over the paperwork and sign contracts. The contract and 5% deposit is expected within 10 days of contract being issued.

We put allowances for electrical ($8,000) and for colour selections ($13,000) so we will hopefully minimise large figure surprises come variations. We also have extended the alfresco, put in slider stacker to eliminate the pier in the middle of the doors, added large niches in the showers, extended master ensuite to allow a 1800 freestanding bath, 2700 ceilings, removed all square sets, removed linen cupboard in laundry and having benches and cupboards running the length of laundry with overhead cupboards, changed a few awning windows to sliding and master bath window to awning and also changed all doors to 2340mm high doors rather than 2040mm. I think that's all the amendments we did pretender.

I'll try adding our plans so you can have a look.
Shannon288
Zara99
Hi,

Zara99

We got an email yesterday saying our express contract paperwork is expected to reach our local office Friday 11th October. We were told it will include final fixed price tender letter, standard specifications, final set of plans, progress payment schedule, builders insurances and the HIA building contract. We then have a meeting with them on Sunday 13th to go over the paperwork and sign contracts. The contract and 5% deposit is expected within 10 days of contract being issued.

We put allowances for electrical ($8,000) and for colour selections ($13,000) so we will hopefully minimise large figure surprises come variations. We also have extended the alfresco, put in slider stacker to eliminate the pier in the middle of the doors, added large niches in the showers, extended master ensuite to allow a 1800 freestanding bath, 2700 ceilings, removed all square sets, removed linen cupboard in laundry and having benches and cupboards running the length of laundry with overhead cupboards, changed a few awning windows to sliding and master bath window to awning and also changed all doors to 2340mm high doors rather than 2040mm. I think that's all the amendments we did pretender.

I'll try adding our plans so you can have a look.

Hi,

How exciting! Our contract is due the 14th or 15th so were just behind you. Your plans look great, We're going with the Hamptons facade, We've allowed 5k on electrical however my boyfriends works in electrical so doubt we will use it all, I think we have around 5k allowance for bigger tiles around the house etc. We have the standstill bath, bigger cook top, higher ceilings and extended our dining wall to be flush alongside the family and lounge room. I'll add plans to my thread, super excited to see your progress!
Hi guys,

We are also about to start building with Coral, the Grange 26 with mods, so exciting!

We are at the very beginning, just put our deposit on the land and awaiting the final quote and land reports (which should land in my inbox this afternoon or tomorrow morning).

Where are we all building? We will be building in College Rise at Sovereign Hills
Hey all we got our tender which came back pretty much to the dollar. Just waiting for the bank to give the final approval for the conditions on our pre approval.

We are building in Sandy Beach 'Seacrest Estate'.

Sovereign Hills is a very nice estate we went down to look at displays almost 2 months ago now and we went to workshops they had.
That's an excellent result from the tender

Seacrest Estate, is that Lake Cathie?
Nah it's at Sandy Beach just north of Coffs Harbour
Thought I'd do an update as it's been a while.

A lot has happened with us since my first post.

Our first contract the bank valued it much lower than expected. We were told the bank is being very cautious with home loans post the royal commission and also with the current economy. So we decided to do a redo contract.

Our redo contract changed the house plan to the Grange 26 and we adjusted our allowances down a bit. We now have an $8,000 colour selections and $5,000 electrical. The only other thing we did was drop the ceiling height back to 2550 and the door heights to standard. We still had elegance package with the ducted ac.

Contracts received on 20th November via docusign.

Tile appoitment at Beaumonts 28th November

Loan approved on 12th December

Electrical remote selection done on 16th December

Mychoice selections complete on 19th December

Plans passed through CDC 17th January

Still waiting for our variations to sign for our Mychoice selections and a start date.

Variations so far
Tiles: $2,545.50
Electrical: $3,811.02

At the Mychoice selections we were told the variation was a total $23,971.04

What a shock!

We will be changing a few things like the stone in our bathrooms to be the same as the laundry. We had chosen Cloudburst Concrete throughout the house but the laundry was to have Snow. We can cut large costs by having Cloudburst only in the Kitchen and Snow elsewhere.
The other thing is the black Pheonix Slim Line Vivid taps and showerheads was going to cost $3,600 for the whole house. We found out there's a matte black tap promo for $210 each bathroom so will be doing that.

I'll do another post if anyone wants with our selections and prices.
Hey there,
We are doing the Grange 26 too so keen to hear how it's all going for you. We are in very early stages, no deposit paid yet.
Wow what a shock with the variations! This is what I'm worried about. In our initial quote our Sales Rep has put an allowance of 11k for Colours but I just realised nothing is in there for Electrical. Was your $3800+ for Electrical on top of the $5k in your allowance? Interesting about the black taps, this is a must for hubby. I'd love to see your selections and prices? Thanks for sharing
Hi Shannon,

We have our variations booked for the 24th Feb, we are also wanting matte black tap ware did you choose basic tap ware or higher in price. That seems ridiculous and please let me know how you go with the $210 for the bathrooms (I assume it's with Coral)!

Also interested in seeing your selections and prices!
Hi Shannon, Zara

The joys of selections and variations...
We are also building with Coral - in Brisbane.
We had our final selections appointment yesterday.
All up - just shy of $30k extras from basic contract inclusions. That does include security screens, blinds, shutters, extra tiling, plenty of lighting and waterfall bench and caesarstone upgrades.

Our sales rep put in a $5500 allowance for electrical - he should have made that $10k! Who wants batten light fittings and single powerpoints anyways...
Carpet upgraded in tender to Silver range but still ended up going one better and getting Gold. Also the thicker underlay.
Tiling we went with Beaumonts - no annoying voice overs... Were quite impressed with final price there so also added in getting the patio tiled at the same time. Were going to leave it brushed concrete until after we moved in.
Colour selections - guess it depends on how much you want to add. Like I mentioned - we did all window coverings and security as well. That was a significant cost and comparable to external contractors doing it after handover.

And yes - our bank valuation came back much lower than expected. We contested the valuation as all the data used was based on 10yr old history. We have a new block twice as big as anyone else in the area and no sales history so we had to sign a waiver stating we accepted the lower value. In the valuers words, we were over capitalising... It's going to be our home. Not an investment or a throwaway...

Good luck and happy building
Magpie
We have the security screens and bench tops included are the standard security screens acceptable?

We're super annoyed about the sales rep not shedding light on the ACTUAL cost!! We have the rumble carpet which is the lowest so we have to upgrade that and we haven't left much for the budget as we weren't told of all these extra costs!

Our tile selection we had $1,000 for allowance to have the 600 x 600 tiles and managed to spend $3,500 all up almost as the standard range wasn't for us.

Our bank valuation knocked us back also so we had to go through another bank as we are stage 1 of a new estate so minimal to base the valuation off.

Fingers crossed our colours selection goes to plan though!
Hi Zara

Where are you building - North Lakes or Griffin by chance? We are also in a stage 1 estate so bank valuer was not much use at all - and certainly wasn't in our favour.

Security screens - do you mean the standard diamond grill or the woven mesh style? We went with the woven mesh but not with the expense of Crimsafe. You won't stop a determined burglar when all they need to do is chuck a brick through the non-screened window. 45kg Rottweiler is a bigger deterrent there and we have one of those

One thing that I was super annoyed about was the ducted air conditioning. It was included in our promo package and we upgraded to have an extra two zones. It was never explained exactly how it works though and the inability to moderate the temperature with even the upgraded version in different rooms was never explained. Have never had ducted before so we were none the wiser. We ended up doing yet another upgrade to get the MyAir (?) option which includes temperature sensors in multiple rooms that allow the system to be controlled properly.
We're just north of North Lakes, we have screens added to our tender which adds around $1,300 so I assume it's the cheapest.

We decided against ducted air con it was around $12,000 through Coral and a friend does split systems and since we're a young couple we're only doing master and family to save money.
Hey all!

Tribe, that electrical variation was on top of the $5000 allowance. For our 3 kitchen island pendant lights to be fitted we were charge $133 each light, external up/down lights $89.18 each and we have 3 and $142.10 for an external fan. For a 3 in 1 ducted vent in the bathroom they're $470 each we have 2, $402.50 for basic ducted fan in 1 toilet and $115 per downlight.

The black taps for $210 per bathroom are called 'Arlo'. Still quite nice just not as minimalist and soft looking as the Pheonix Vivid Slimlines.

We too are having waterfall ends however we upgraded to 40mm thick and chose cloudburst concrete throughout. However seeing as the stone alone is over $13k we've decided to have cloudburst in the Kitchen only and 'Snow' everywhere else.

We also upgraded our carpet and carpet underlay. I'm not sure what range it was but it was much nicer and softer than the standard range. We chose spotted gum look vinyl plank floors.

We also included tiled wastes which were something like $80 each. We also extended our tiles to the ceiling in the bathrooms. Paid extra for backsplash to be laid in herringbone. And paid extra for feature tile we chose.

We already had an undermount sink included for the Kitchen and also top and bottom cupboards to run along the full length of the wall in the laundry with stone bench included.

We chose elegance package so ducted air and aluminium fly mesh was included. However we did upgrade to myair which allowed us to have individual zones for each individual room just about. Only rooms sharing are loving, dining and kitchen together and the IT Hub and media room together.

We also included the 900mm cooktop package and we got the gas freestanding and paid extra to have our range hood built in.

We also paid extra to have the no handle kitchen/laundry cupboards/drawers along with soft close. We also paid to have cold water connection to fridge area.

Got the package for the steel frames and colourbond roof.

We also paid extra to have 70m2 of driveway so the driveway doesn't narrow so then we can fit 2 cars side by side the entire length of driveway.

We also got charged extra to have 2 colours of render on the facade as only 1 is included.

We looked into roller blinds and plantation shutters and let's just say you can DIY the whole house for the price of 3 of there roller blinds with block out.

We also looked into black door handles and you can buy them $20< cheaper And install yourself. Bit annoying when you pick things as an upgrade and instead of paying the difference between the items you don't you have to pay for the whole value of the upgraded item on top of the standard door handle. So better off keeping standard door handles and upgrade them yourself later on. We did however upgrade the front door handle to the one with the hidden lever behind the push bar.

Brick colour: Rice by PGH
Render colours: White Exchange and Smooth Coffee (darker colour)
Roof and gutter: Surfmist
Fascia and Garage:Woodland Grey

Timber battons above the two pillars in facade along with front door and alfresco posts to be stained 'Light Oak' (timber square on top of flooring plank)

Wall colour: Lexicon Quarter
Kitchen, vanity and laundry cupboards: Polar White Silk Finish
Spotted Gum vinyl plank to all areas except bedrooms, media and bathroom/toilets
Carpet to bedrooms only

Warehouse White 450x450 tile to floor and walls of bathrooms except vanity walls
Same tile also to portico and alfresco

Nostalgia White Satin laid in brickbond to vanity walls and herringbone to kitchen splashback

Feature tile:

Main tile:

My partner likes thEse house colours in the Coral Facade illustration so we.chose as close to as we could get. Even have the same door and lights in the same place.
Related
2/10/2023
Carter Grange vs. Thomas Archer

Building A New House

We spent close to 2 years in a process with TA. It was horrible..... we got to tender, and the first cut was 50% over our budget which "they care such about meeting ". We…

2/11/2023
Coral Homes-can they shrink plans?

Building A New House

Ask the council if there is a chance of getting build over easement exemption. Sometimes easements are unused and 24cm is not all that much. Good luck. And yes any builder…

14/04/2024
Is it possible to get the Coral Homes Highlands 36 home?

Building A New House

In Qld it is a requirement that a builder must have a cost breakdown, for building a home to the same specification, with the same inclusions and the same finish. So ask…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum