Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Garage To Living room conversion

Page 1 of 1
Hi Everyone,

I am just building my house, currently I am finalising the floor layout. I am planning to have double garage for new build. I am planning to convert double Garage to Living or sitting in future. Can someone please guide me what things I need to consider or add in garage during construction phase that will help me to convert it into living. Any modification needs to be done now to reduce the cost later or or anything which can't be done later.
Thanks for your help. much appreciated.

Allowing for future conversions is a good idea and can save you heaps later on.
BTW, Most people still require a garage, adding a loft or studio apartment above is popular
In sort after locations.
1) Usually the external garage walls are not insulated. You should have those insulated for use as living room. Even insulation for garage door, depending upon the direction.
2) Consider a higher garage entrance height.
3) Some modern garage door openers only have a small machine attached to wall near garage entrance. This takes away the ugly looking apparatus hanging in middle of the garage.
4) You will need more power points, data points, tv points
5) Appropriate window openings
6) Think about the roof access manhole location (if single level house)
7) Positioning for NBN box that usually goes inside the garage.
Your garage has to be designed and built as a habitable room.
Thanks for the suggestion. much appreciated.

Heads Up,
These are my Planning Drawing For a DA project in Perth
Class A- Sand Soils, N1 wind load,etc,etc
For reactive foundations ie Class S & M the masonry walls will require Reinforced Masonry Construction
If you would like further Information, data and Costings leave a PM or email
and I will start a separate post.You will also require a gmail account to access live project Data during the build
Cheers
Chris
Stage 1 Quantities, Revised drawings
Related
22/01/2024
(Another) garage conversion advice thread

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, Apologies - I know there is plenty out there on this but struggling to put together the puzzle. We're planning our garage/external laundry to master bedroom and…

12/12/2023
Rumpus conversion to a master with ensuite

Renovation + Home Improvement

From the information posted it looks to me your rumpus room is nothing more than extended garage. That will present a number of challenges. Single brick wall between…

27/02/2024
Shed conversion

Owner Builder Forum

Because it only states 90mm not if it’s 45mm or 35mm and yes I do have the plans my question was specifically since it’s not the structural value and only to hold…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum