Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Can you cut a concrete slab and reo

Page 1 of 1
We've had some home mods done to accommodate my sons wheelchair. The plans were to install a double sliding door LEVEL with the floor to allow easy access. The builder left the door approx 1 inch above the floorline saying "they didnt want to cut through the reo" They have built some butt ugly access ramps either side of the door BUT my sons disability makes it near impossible to use it. Can you cut the reo/slab to recess the door? Any info would be appreciated
Hi lesM
Welcome to the forum
Yes it is possible to cut rebar in slabs Is It a
Ground or Suspended slab more info required
Are you able to put up photos
hth
StructuralBIMGuy
Hi lesM
Welcome to the forum
Yes it is possible to cut rebar in slabs Is It a
Ground or Suspended slab more info required
Are you able to put up photos
hth

These are interior, exterior and the back of the house / room
Hi Les.
Seeing it's for wheelchair access I assume it's ground floor.
Typically you only need a 25-35mm recess to get a sliding door to sit at finished floor level (depending on floor covering)
That's not usually deep enough to hit the reinforcing.as it has more cover than that.
It sounds like the builder has taken the easy option rather than do the recess.
I do a bit of work in accessible housing and sometimes it depends on how the work is being funded and what scope of work is supplied to the builder.
If you self funded and directly employed the builder then they should have thought about that detail and discussed options with you.
You can get nicer threshold ramps than those
The external one isn't even wide enough.
Is your son self propelling or attendant propelled.
chippy
Hi Les.
Seeing it's for wheelchair access I assume it's ground floor.
Typically you only need a 25-35mm recess to get a sliding door to sit at finished floor level (depending on floor covering)
That's not usually deep enough to hit the reinforcing.as it has more cover than that.
It sounds like the builder has taken the easy option rather than do the recess.
I do a bit of work in accessible housing and sometimes it depends on how the work is being funded and what scope of work is supplied to the builder.
If you self funded and directly employed the builder then they should have thought about that detail and discussed options with you.

This was done through the NDIS scheme.I have around 3 x A4 sheets of defects they have left us with. The original plans where for level access, They then told me it would "destabilize the slab" if they cut it. They never contacted the OT who put these mods together to find out what plan B should be.. Ive been to the NDIS and they have washed their hands saying my prob is with the builder. The builder says it's the NDIS who wont fund any more Mods and refuse to correct what they should have done in the first place......Would this be an Expensive thing to have done ourselves?
chippy
You can get nicer threshold ramps than those
The external one isn't even wide enough.
Is your son self propelling or attendant propelled.

He has Cerebral palsy Quadriplegic in a self propelled chair which he can almost manage but with the Mods that have been done we now have to do it
With the NDIS usually the OT and a building consultant draw up a scope of works including plans that is then given to builders to quote on.
If the plans and the scope of work detailed a flat entry (not threshold ramps) then the OT should have brought this to the builders attention. The OT usually has to sign off on the job so the builder receives payment from the NDIS funding body.
If the builder has had to replace that sliding door it was a reasonably simply job to recess it.
Is the decking outside part of the scope of work or was it existing?
chippy
With the NDIS usually the OT and a building consultant draw up a scope of works including plans that is then given to builders to quote on.
If the plans and the scope of work detailed a flat entry (not threshold ramps) then the OT should have brought this to the builders attention. The OT usually has to sign off on the job so the builder receives payment from the NDIS funding body.
If the builder has had to replace that sliding door it was a reasonably simply job to recess it.
Is the decking outside part of the scope of work or was it existing?

Originally we had a single swinging door with a step down to our existing decking . So they raised it by building more decking on top of ours to the interior floor level to allow for level access. The OT at the time of the build was off on Maternity leave, so the builders made the call on their own.. This has been my bone of contention but no one will admit responsibility. Ive gone through fair trading and the inspector came out looked at it and said Its structurally correct but he couldnt comment on it being raised (an OT'S call) Start the cycle of complaints again with no Joy.
I'm assuming that the tiles on the inside are existing.
It wouldn't have been to difficult to recess the sliding door.
It would take a little bit of care with the existing tiles to get a neat cut for the recess but doable.
Once the frame was in then the decking outside could go in.
Really the best advocate should be the OT and building consultant that did up the original scope of works.
If the builder has deviated from these then the job shouldn't have been signed off for payment.

It's the typical story. A builder who doesn't have a great understanding of the actual needs of a client who then does what they think is right or typical. It's those small details that make all the difference to those living with a disability. That's where the NDIS falls down in my opinion. It's the OT's that know the exact requirements of each client but they don't know building details and builders are the opposite.
I personally prefer to do joint visits with the OT so I can understand their needs and discuss and trouble shoot issues I see with them before I even quote.

Hopefully you can get it sorted.
chippy
I'm assuming that the tiles on the inside are existing.
It wouldn't have been to difficult to recess the sliding door.
It would take a little bit of care with the existing tiles to get a neat cut for the recess but doable.
Once the frame was in then the decking outside could go in.
Really the best advocate should be the OT and building consultant that did up the original scope of works.
If the builder has deviated from these then the job shouldn't have been signed off for payment.

It's the typical story. A builder who doesn't have a great understanding of the actual needs of a client who then does what they think is right or typical. It's those small details that make all the difference to those living with a disability. That's where the NDIS falls down in my opinion. It's the OT's that know the exact requirements of each client but they don't know building details and builders are the opposite.
I personally prefer to do joint visits with the OT so I can understand their needs and discuss and trouble shoot issues I see with them before I even quote.

Hopefully you can get it sorted.

Actually the Building consultant was the site manager who made the call to change the original plan, and he did a joint visit with the OT . The builders themselves would say to me "we'll be back because this isnt right, but we have to do what HE says"... and he is not prepared to admit what he did was wrong..But would you have any idea of what it would cost to get someone to do this on our own?
Related
14/03/2024
Cut and filled land

Building A New House

Thanks Craig! This make absolutely sense to me!!

27/11/2023
Site Cut & Footing Excess Soil Removal

General Discussion

PM me your email. I have a build excavation calculator you can use based on your plans to double check what your builder is telling you. Cheers Simeon

30/12/2023
Cut metal with a mitre saw?

General Discussion

Fine with me... just let 'em step in with some affordable (but good) gear...

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum