Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Should l use only a licensed builder

Page 1 of 1
Hi l am getting some repairs to a water damaged bathroom floor around the shower area, not sure what the cost is yet but getting some quotes, should l only get quotes from licensed builders , l got a couple of non licensed building contractors recommended to me that have good reputations should l also get a quote from them and consider them.
l also got a good quote from a guy from 'hire a hubby handyman 'whose done previous work on my house and did a good job, hire a hubby is the largest handyman company in Australia has public liability insurance and a workmanship quarantee. should l consider them or not?
if a non licensed builder gives a cheaper quote and has a good reputation should l consider them
You will run the risk of getting the builder that either cannot be registered due to lack of skill or has been de registered for wrong doing to customers. Why would you?
thanks,l live in Victoria, how do l find out if a builder is licensed or not, if l type their name in here at the VBA
https://consumer.etoolbox.buildingcommi ... earch.aspx
if their name doesn't come up does that mean they are not a licensed registered builder
Hi jimbo73

If they are a licenced builder then they should appear on the VBA database. I wouldn't hire an unlicenced builder and I would be very careful even with a licenced builder. Make sure you have seen some of their work and spoken in person with their previous customers and even then.... the customers could be relatives. Make sure the contract is very clearly set out as to what you expect of them.
Related
28/07/2023
My builder made the wrong height door, what should I do next

Building A New House

i imagine you also have another contract with an architect? and yeah, whatever other's said about special conditions and appendices

14/03/2024
Contract Works Insurance - Why your builder should have it

Building A New House

Hi All, I just wanted to close this topic out with an update. So we ended up agreeing to a number with the insurance company, and after an extensive amount of hand…

29/05/2023
How I lost $100,000 and why I will never use steel frames

Building A New House

That sucks! Hope it all works out. Good to move away from steel anyway for all your reasons, but it's also thermally poor.

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum