Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Digging under house slab

Page 1 of 1
Hi Friends,

I was wondering if someone could give me advice around digging up to my house slab on a timber frame house. Both perpendicular walls have footings and brick cladding 2 stories but the one against where I would like to dig is just the slab with timber frame on top

If I'm to dig up quite close to it, approximately 2 meters down will this cause any issues? I'm aware of the zone of influence in regard to the footings and brick on the other sides but have not yet found anything in regard to the wall where I would like to dig

I am looking to install a pond / pool on this side as a DIY project

Thanks in advance and happy building
Draw a 45 degree line down from the bottom of your footings and if your excavation gets on its way, you would need to involve structural engineer who would provide a design for how you would need to retain your excavation.
Hey Al, thanks for your reply! Do you know if this applies where there are no footings eg slab with timber frame attached ontop clad in colourbond? The only footings we have on our building are where we have brick veneer above
There can't be no footing.
Your timber frame and slab would have to sit on top of some form of footing.
alexp79
Draw a 45 degree line down from the bottom of your footings and if your excavation gets on its way, you would need to involve structural engineer who would provide a design for how you would need to retain your excavation.

You must be careful when you say this as it is not the case for sand.You will need to know the depth of the slab and the soil type.
insider
alexp79

You must be careful when you say this as it is not the case for sand.You will need to know the depth of the slab and the soil type.

Apologies, agree, this approach generally applies for the clay soils.
In any case, it is always best to involve professional structural engineer for the advice.
Massive excavation near the footings is something which always needs to be double checked.
Thanks guys, really appreciate your help
You will need a building permit if your pool holds more than 300mm of water, it will be deemed a child drowning risk and pool fencing will be required.
building-expert
You will need a building permit if your pool holds more than 300mm of water, it will be deemed a child drowning risk and pool fencing will be required.

Not if its a 'natural pool', it can be classified as a pond and the rules are grey. 300mm Rule only applies to pools and spas apparently.
Thank you everyone, really appreciate your help.
Related
13/05/2023
Retaining wall under patio slab

Landscape & Garden Design

Thanks for the insights, that makes perfect sense, and yeah, I will be leaning on the experience of the excavator operator entirely.

27/08/2023
Sewer pipes under slab

General Discussion

Thanks that link in particular is really useful.

5/03/2024
Void under slab

General Discussion

To me, that's what it looks like: poor backfilling and/or compaction. The width is about 1000mm maybe. That conduit in the photo is for the NBN. The water is about…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum