Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Scaffold through bracing pic - is this normal?

Page 1 of 1

Noticed this on the build and it just didn’t look right. Is it normal to break bracing so scaffolding can go through it?
Yup is normal.

Even if someone says it's not normal.
It will still be done the same way.
So no structural issues with holes in the bracing?

Even though it will still be done the same way, should it still be done the same way?

Just doesn’t look right to me.
Manic

Noticed this on the build and it just didn’t look right. Is it normal to break bracing so scaffolding can go through it?

definitely not normal in sydney. You cant smash holes with a hammer through bracing. I would have thought it affects the structural integrity.

I as doing a project where the plumbers were using a hammer to make holes in the bracing and the certifier insisted that the bracing be changed.
From the physics perspective, the holes won't effect structural integrity significantly as their surface area is minimal vs total area and structural engineering cals are generally done with at least 200% reliability factor, so I would say it was rather a certifier personal problem that he was not okay with that.

But from pure aesthetics perspective those holes look ugly and there surely should be a better way of arranging stuff for the scaffolding or plumbing.
alexp79
From the physics perspective, the holes won't effect structural integrity significantly as their surface area is minimal vs total area and structural engineering cals are generally done with at least 200% reliability factor, so I would say it was rather a certifier personal problem that he was not okay with that.

But from pure aesthetics perspective those holes look ugly and there surely should be a better way of arranging stuff for the scaffolding or plumbing.

This is an extract from the plywood bracing association of Australia, so we dont have to speculate any more
An 'of interest' comment,,, a neatly cut round hole(s) can strengthen many structures as aeronautic and many other engineers will attest but neat and well positioned holes are much different to those bashed through a structure.
SaveH2O
An 'of interest' comment,,, a neatly cut round hole(s) can strengthen many structures as aeronautic and many other engineers will attest but neat and well positioned holes are much different to those bashed through a structure.

youre 100% correct. Smashing holes through the bracing ( as was explained to me by my certifier) weakens the bracing.

Also its very poor building practice. its the same with penetrations through i joists

And the finished product with the wrap to go straight over it. To me this looks like a less expensive way to put up scaffolds straight on the first floor instead of ground up.
Manic

And the finished product with the wrap to go straight over it. To me this looks like a less expensive way to put up scaffolds straight on the first floor instead of ground up.

I have never seen it penetrate plywood bracing before. The reason being is that this is the wrong type of scaffolding for this stage of the build ( this is called " hang on platform scaffolding:)

Hang on Platform scaffolding is usually only used up to erection of flooring and then when upper frames are installed it is pulled down and regular scaffolding is installed.

My guess is that your builder is trying to save money. For a house of your size regular scaffolding will cost $7-9k for a 3 month hire period and then $400-600 per week after this period.

So if they can save money the will.

Plywood bracing is pretty cheap so i would be insisting that it is replaced
SejaeD
Manic

I have never seen it penetrate plywood bracing before. The reason being is that this is the wrong type of scaffolding for this stage of the build ( this is called " hang on platform scaffolding:)

Hang on Platform scaffolding is usually only used up to erection of flooring and then when upper frames are installed it is pulled down and regular scaffolding is installed.

My guess is that your builder is trying to save money. For a house of your size regular scaffolding will cost $7-9k for a 3 month hire period and then $400-600 per week after this period.

So if they can save money the will.

Plywood bracing is pretty cheap so i would be insisting that it is replaced

I’m just glad it’s not my build but one down my street!
Related
30/09/2023
Temporary bracing for partition wall

General Discussion

Hi all, Not sure if this is a good place for this question but I guess we'll find out! I'm a novice, building a modular room inside my garage/shed and need to create…

5/12/2023
Hi, I'm looking for a structural solution to stand alone pic

General Discussion

Sorry! I'm new to this forum and have made a mistake in my posting! I'm looking for a structural solution to a stand alone wooden pickets fence with no structural rail…

26/07/2023
Replacing concealed guttering with normal guttering

Renovation + Home Improvement

Yes, get a builder, make sure he is experienced and a registered building practitioner

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum