Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Dilemma about position of masterbedroom

Page 1 of 1
Hi lovely people,
I am in process of building a new house for investing purposes.The position of my block is such that i get morning sun at the back of my house.So,i am inclined to get masterbedroom at the back instead of front.There are not much options available..
What do you guys suggest?
Should i go with Masterbedroom at front with no morning sun or at back with sun in morning?

Thanks
Bump
I’d prefer no sun anytime as it’s a bedroom, but that’s probably not an option in which case I’d go morning sun first option rather than afternoon sun which would be sun from the West and horrific in summer. Being that the bedroom is at the back of house you’d have many more options to shade the window from the East rising sun (which can also be horrific in summer) rather than the street facing West option which could mess up the look of the facade.
I would be more concerned with how much sun the living areas get. They should be positioned in the place that gets the best natural light. In your case this sounds like it's the back of the house, which would probably work well for backyard access as well.

Then put the bedrooms in the remaining places, they're mostly occupied at night anyway.

Currently in late 90s brick-veneer home which as been perfectly - according to the literature - azimuthed on its acerage block. Living there has confirmed the sheer importance of the architecture and the azimuth working together. This home is soaking up too much heat for summer but will be gorgeous in winter. East facing master bedroom is a delight in terms of brightness but, again, soaks up a little too much heat for summer comfort. Rams home the importance of windows/eaves/permanent and temporary shading working together. An aspect of this home design that rocks me is how its West-facing double garage really shelters the house from the afternoon sun.
My main concern when placing a master bedroom is that it is as far away as possible from the living/kitchen areas. I put a higher price on 'quiet' rather than 'light'. You can always block out light with curtains/blinds/awnings etc but noise is harder to block out.

We're building a house now that has a bedroom at the front and living areas at the back.
Related
You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum